• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't install Air on XP home edition (sp3) any ideas?

Jan 01, 2011 Jan 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the error:  An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator.

I've been all over this forum trying all sorts of proposed fixes and still have no luck. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 03, 2011 Jan 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news I was finally able to resolve my problem...It was related to an older version of Adobe Air still being installed on the system under (All users).

Here is a step by step fix that I used to get the Air Player installed.

Step 1. Download the Windows Installer Cleanup utility here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility-Download-18442.html

Step2. Install the program from step one.

Step3. You will need to run the cleanup utility program by doing the following:

Step4.Go to Start=>All Programs=>Then find Windows Install Cleanup ...Double click the icon to launch the utility program.

You should see this window open:

wicuu.jpg

Step5. When the window opens...look for a file named Adobe Air [1.?.?] as the version. (Mine has the new version installed so you can see it at the very top entry.

Step6. If you see Adobe Air listed with a previous version...select it and the remove button will become active. Click Remove.

Step7. The utility will remove all the previous version of Adobe Air.

Step8. Grab the latest version of the Adobe Air runtime and Install it. In my case, the new version of Adobe Air installed right away with no problems.

Summary: I think that my mistake was assuming that the installation of the windows cleanup utility was the actual cleanup process. It's not...you have to install the utility and then go to Step3 and actually run the utility after you have selected the outdated version of the Adobe Air.

Hope this helps...Kerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2011 Jan 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for letting us know you solved the problem and posting these excellent and detailed steps!  I'll make sure to forward others along to your solution.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2011 Mar 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am reading these posts because I have a similar problem, triggered in my case by trying to install an update to Zinio.

Two comments on Chris' suggestions:

1. It appears Microsoft has withdrawn the cleanup install utility, saying that it could cause problems with other applications.

See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651#reso1

2. Personally I would only accept an MS tool like a cleanup utility from a Microsoft web site, not from a third party source.  It was because i went looking on MS.com that I found the page quoted above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good job - same it has still problem with Windows Vista and 7: Using Revo Uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Revo Uninstaller can to kill and remove regedit files once acces denising by Uninstaller or Installer of Adobe Air 2.5x

Thanks for Support with Revo Uninstaller

Regards Jens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines