• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF 9 Performance Monitor problem on Win Server 2003 R2 x64

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2011 Jan 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a new install of both the operating system and CF 9. I'm unable to get the CF 9 counters to even show up in Performance monitor.

I get the following error in the Event Viewer when trying to enable them... any ideas on what to try next?

"The data buffer created for the "ColdFusion 9 Application Server" service in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cfpefmon_9.dll" library is not aligned on an 8-byte boundary. This may cause problems for applications that are trying to read the performance data buffer. Contact the manufacturer of this library or service to have this problem corrected or to get a newer version of this library."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2011 Jan 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bdolnik, that message may not be a real problem. I'm pretty sure I've seen it even on servers where the counters did show up ok.

Let's clarify a couple of other things first: as for not seeing the counters, have you in fact enabled the option in the CF Admin? Second, is your CF9 deployment either Standard, or Enterprise Server? If it's Enterprise Multiserver, then the perfmon counters are not supported (though perhaps the message may still show up). For instance, that DLL may have been placed there by a previous supported install but not removed on a redeployment as multiserver. That's just a guess. Trying to help.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2011 Jan 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Charlie, yes I've enabled it in the CF Admin and restarted the service. It's an Enterprise install, however it is not Multiserver. Are you saying it's not supported on Enterprise at all? We have used it on prior versions of Enterprise (MX).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I said it is supported on Enterprise Server, but not Multiserver.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so now that we have that cleared up , any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I was waiting to see if others had answers.

Since so far they don't, let me ask this: if you view Perfmon, do you find whether it lists CF 8 as a performance object (in perfmon)?

If so, add them to the display and see if perhaps those show what you thought should be reported for CF9.

I just checked my own 2k3 server, and I too had updated it from 8 to 9. Though not 64bit, I see the same error in my event log, but I see that my CF9 server stats are being reported under CF8. To be clear, don't have CF8 running. But I did update from Enterprise Multiserver 8 to 9 Standard. That may explain why the cf8 dll is still in windows\system32. I suppose mine is a rather rare case, but maybe it's what happened to you. I could try deleting the cf8 dll, but since I do still have the CF8 install there, with the instances stopped (cfusion, admin, and others), I may have need to turn them on some day. Also, it seems I'd need to restart CF or perhaps the server to make that change take effect, and I'd rather not (it's my prod server).

But let us know if the workaround (viewing under CF8 counters) works, or if you have the same situation and would be willing to delete the CF8 dll and restart.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Something I said in another thread might help -

Perhaps enable CFSTAT, CFadminUI > Debugging  & Logging > Debug Output Settings > Enable CFSTAT .Do you get  values for the same counters when using cfstat (eg  C:\ColdFusion\bin>cfstat 5)?

CFSTAT uses similar counters as CF Performance Monitor.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl, I'm not sure that will help much. Yes, the counters are the same, but I don't think there's any connection per se between CFSTAT working and the perfmon counters working. To be clear, on my prod server, where the CF9 perfmon counters also don't work, CFSTAT in that CF9 instance works fine. Just adding that as a data point.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

Yes agreed there seems to be no connection between CFSTAT and “Perfmon CF counters“. I guess bdolnik is just trying to get some statistics or see how things are running, given “Perfmon CF counters” are not working one can get similar statics another way via CFSTAT.

There is always some sort of cost somewhere once you want to measure, monitor or look at things (“Perfmon CF counters“, CFSTAT, CF Monitor, CF Metrics JVM logging etc). Which do CF users find less overhead on Windows CFSTAT  versa “Perfmon CF counters”?  +1 for CFSTAT I think.

Cheers, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, but some people do want to see the counters in Perfmon specifically, whether to use the alert or logging features in Perfmon, or because they use an enterprise tool to warehouse key perfmon stats. I've been presuming that may be the OP's intention, but you make a fair point.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the replies guys!

• This is a new install of CF9 not an upgrade, so no CF8 to play with on here like was referenced.
  • CFSTATS does work, and I have been using that in the interim, however would like to be able to use Perfmon. We mostly use for real-time monitoring of running and que'd requests.
  • Just FYI, my understanding of Windows and Performance counters is that the data is being collected whether you run the application or not, so there should be no 'extra' overhead in running it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3351135

You have installed CF9 64 bit not 32 bit?

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed 64-bit CF 9.0.1 Standard on a Win2k8 R2 machine.  When I try and view ANY perfmon counters, nothing shows up.  When I uninstall CF9.0.1, the server counters show back up.  I'm not interested in CFSTAT at all.  I just want to be able to remotely track the health of my machine, but with my current setup this isn't possible.  I've subsequently had to reinstall 32-bit CF 9.0.1.  This is a shame since I'm not using my equipment to its potential.  Any news on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is the answer.  Disabling the performance counter for the ColdFusion 9 Application server in the registry causes all the Windows performance counters to reappear in 64-bit mode:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ColdFusion 9 Application Server\Performance]
"Disable Performance Counters"=dword:00000001

Source:  http://www.fixkar.com/articles/kb/1137/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation