• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Error returning borrowed item" error message

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2011 Jan 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than just allowing a library book that I had finished reading to expire, I selected the book in ADE and chose the "Return" option.  After a few seconds I received the following error message:

Error returning borrowed item Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO

I added "digitaleditions.exe" as an allowed program in my VIPRE anti-virus/firewall software but that didn't resolve the problem.  To confirm that the problem was, indeed, with my firewall, I totally disabled my firewall protection and I was then able to return my library book. (Obviously, I immediately reinstated my firewall protection )   Disabling my firewall every time I want to return a library book isn't a great option for me.  Anyone know what specifically I need to "allow" in my firewall options to avoid this error?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE is trying to do an HTTP post to the URL indicated in the E_ADEPT_IO error message.  Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with your firewall to suggest a setting that would allow that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid there was no URL included in the error message (or if there was it wasn't part of the error message itself).  I could probably check Vipre's log to see if I can spot it there.    Knowing that ADE was trying to do an HTTP post might be enough for me to contact the Vipre software people and ask them what I need to adjust.or change.

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ctrl (or Cmd on Mac) Shift - T will bring up a dialog to let you turn on error logging.  This will dump the text of the errors to a file named error.log in your (My) Digital Editions folder, and may contain the URL (but then again it may not).

Good Luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines