• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelpHTML 8 stopped working; displays license agreement and then vanishes

Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2011 Jan 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a licensed version of RoboHelp HTML 8 that I have been using on my Win7 (64-bit) machine for a year now.

All of a sudden, 3-4 weeks ago, when I launch RH8, I get the License Agreement window with "Cancel", "Decline" and "Accept" buttons. No matter what I click - it goes away and RH8 never comes up. What happened? I re-ran the installation in Repair mode. No difference. I applied the 8.02 update (not sure if I already had that) and no difference. This happens every time I try to launch RH8HTML.

I have run as admin, checked sysem event logs for messages, nothing.

What can I do to fix this please?

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried uninstalling RH entirely and reinstalling it? Have you contacted Adobe support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have contacted Adobe Support. Apparently my company does not have a support contract even though this is a valid licensed product. So I don't know

how that works. I gave them my license # and they said no support contract - $40 to give me the answer.

I have not tried a complete removal and reinstallation. It scares me a bit to try that. But I guess it is coming down to that.

I will report back with the results of that. Any other ideas? Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling and reinstalling is not difficult and shouldn't affect your projects. You would of course back those up anyway wouldn't you?

If that fails, post back and I will contact someone at Adobe to see if it is normal policy to charge in this situation.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - backed up projects. This is getting weird. I uninstalled 8.02, then 8.01, then 8.0 as that is what Add/Remove Programs showed me in order. No problems.

Attempted installation of 8.0 twice. Same results. Gets to a "copying files..." stage, then a "rolling back" stage (no error messages) where the progress bar goes in reverse. Then "Installation completed.The wizard was interrupted before Adobe RoboHelp 8 could be completely installed." What the?!?!? And it is not installed. What the heck might be going on here?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well - I searched the forums on "rolling back actions" and found one that helped.

I removed "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\cache\cache.db" (actually renamed it to "_cache.db") and now the installation works.

My guess is that if I had done this without uninstalling RoboHelp first, the problem would have gone away. I have wasted countless hours on this alone and on previous RoboHelp installation issues over the years (just see my posts). Man - this is a finicky product that needs better error logging for tracking down these issues when they occur.

Now to install 8.02 update and test opening project. Will report back shortly.

Thanks to both of you for making me feel not so all alone on this problem.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed 8.01, then 8.02 and all is working.

Why can't RH8 popup a message if it is having trouble opening/using this cache.db instead of simply dying in both the launch and the installation?

Back up and running. Hope this helps someone else.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are able to add a link to the post you found about cache.db, it would be very helpful, assuming you can find it again.

I also have a slight concern that replacing the cache.db may have used up one of the two lives you have with a licence. I assume you are aware you can install on two PCs if they are both for your use and not used simultaneously. This solution might, if my worst fear is correct, have used one of those lives.

I could be wrong on this but thought it better to warn you.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all.

The article that lead me to the article was about PSE8 having the same problem. The link to that post is

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2301452#2301452 - then it referenced this link with the info about cache.db http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406851.html.

What removing this file has done is to invalidate all my other Adobe product licenses!!! Arrgggg. Very frustrating.

fyi

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what the knowledge base article says, it should be as simple as re-entering the serial numbers. Was it that simple?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Question for you Peter - you seem to be the de facto support expert in these RH forums. What do you get out of helping everyone? Why don't we ever hear from Adobe-staffed support experts in these situations?

To answer your question, my company buys Adobe product licenses in some way that makes them available to employees that need them for their job. The installation kit auto-installs and licenses most of them without me ever seeing the license. RH8 is an exception in that they give you the license number to enter. However, for DW or Captiv8, I have to reinstall the product to get the license applied during installation. Which means, removal first. A super pain the butt.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are many others who support these forums and who have considerable expertise. The reason you don't hear from Adobe is that these forums are user to user. Adobe support is chargeable so why would they answer here for free?

What do I get out of it? I used the forum when I started out and now it is payback time. Also answering posts keeps my skills sharp so it helps me in my work. If anyone else is bothered by what I get out of it, there is a Donate button on my site.

Thanks for explaining your setup. If it is any consolation, this is a rare problem.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

Very kind of you to report that. Hopefully it will help someone down the road.

I would also encourage you to report it as a bug to the development team. (link to the bug report is in my sig)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp