• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

multiple instance of TOC at same time

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2006 Jun 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know why once my project is compiled that the TOC would replicate itself in whole about 8 times over in the project?

It still reads correctly but after the TOC is finished it starts back over again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2006 Jun 22, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still a little confused about exactly what is wrong here. Are you saying the TOC is replicated 8 times in the CHM file? What exactly do you mean by "reads correctly" and "starts back over"? It sounds like you have something like topic1, topic2, topic3, topic1, topic2, topic3, topic1, topic2, topic3, topic1, topic2, topic3, etc. Is that right? Is the project stored on a network? Are there merged projects in the TOC? Sorry for all the Qs. Come back and we'll try to help further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

In addition to what Colum offered, another way this can happen is by always automatically creating your TOC. For example, if you click the TOC tab, then click the button labeled Auto-create TOC, you get a dialog prior to creation of the TOC. This dialog has a check box labeled "Delete current TOC before creating new". If this were somehow DE-Selected, the TOC that gets created is *APPENDED* onto the bottom of the existing structure.

Just thought I'd toss this out... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi OLRGuy. Having megred CHMs would probably explain the sequence of the TOC. As Rick has pointed out, althought I didn't think of this myself , the auto generate TOC will cause this behaviour. You may not auto generate the parent CHM but can you say the same for the child CHMs? Don't be afraid to go in and look. I'd take a backup before you do anything so that you can return to the current position. Open up each child CHM and follow Rick's suggestion. Then compile the child and master CHMs. Also you say you don't think the project is on a network. Where are the source files you are compiling? Are they stored and maintained on your PCs hard drive or are they elsewhere. RH does not operate well when used on a nerwork/server as many on these forums will testify. By all means backup to a network but ALWAYS ensure you work locally on your PC. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all actuality the replication is more like this

Topic1
Topic1
Topic1
Topic1
Topic 2
Topic 3
Topic 4
Topic 2
Topic 3
Topic 4 and so on 8 times. Topic 1 is only repeated at the very beginning . When I say it reads correctly I simply mean that all the TOC items that should be there are there and in the correct order - Just repeated 8 times.

I don't think the project is stored on a netowrk. I compile it to the .chm file and then out IT staff pushes it out to the users. I think they just trigger it to automatically install in the morning one time a week on each users PC.

Yes, there are merged topics in the TOC. This was the only way I could get the search feature from the "home page" to return results from the merged project.

I don't automatically create the TOC each compile. This was established before I took over this role and I don't know how/ want to attempt to mess with in in case I screw it up and cant get it back. Maybe I should take the plunge, but am reluctant.

This was not a gradual thing where it was replicated 2 times after a compile, then 3 times, then 4 etc. They all appeared at one time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp