Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Builder stops giving me compile errors or warnings

Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been using Flex / Flash Builder since Flex2 and I've always had this problem.  At some point in an AS project, my project just breaks down and stops giving me errors.  I then have to get my errors when publishing in the Flash IDE, and of course, I'd rather get them in FB before hand.

I'd say this happens in 80% of my AS Projects, and the only way to fix it is to delete the project, and start a new one with the same scripts.  Clean does nothing.  Is there a hidden file I can delete when this happens perhaps, something quicker than starting a new project?

Thanks for any help.

P.S.  I'm on a MAC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

> Or maybe it just NEVER worked.

Yes, it never worked. Flash Builder doesn't process a file unless it is used (directly or indirectly) by an Application, Module or Runtime CSS file.

> Carelessly writing 'sdfdsfdsfdsf' somewhere in my class should give me SOMETHING.

Not until it is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Will it be possible for you to share your projects to help us understand the issue better?

Thanks,

Mayank

Engineering Manager, Flash Builder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2010 Dec 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure, where should I send one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2011 Jan 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have narrowed my issues down to this.  In any given class, I don't get Problem reporting after a certain point.  A complete mystery.  But the way I can fix it is by just referencing that class in the document class. Then all of the sudden , all of the errros pop up in my Problems panes.  Now I have no reason whatsoever to declare this class anywhere so it's a bit frustrating.

Thought maybe that could narrow down what the issue is.  I can send over a project , it would do no good to provide any sort of code here.

Thanks for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Builder doesn't compile all files in your project. It only compiles files that are referenced and needed by that project's applications, modules or runtime css files.

If you create a new actionscript class or MXML file and do not use it, the compiler doesn't process it unless you refer to it.

P.S: This is something that took a while for me also to get used to

Thanks,

Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not refering to that.  I just mean at author time.  If I write someVar = "foo", but I never declared that var in that class, I should get an error in my Problems pane telling me of the compiler error.  I shouldnt have to declare the class I'm writing somewhere in order to get warnings on missed imports, unknown vars, etc when I'm writing the class.  This alwasy just STOPS working.  It always works fine initially with a new class I create.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, thanks for responding.  I hope I'm explaining it correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or maybe it just NEVER worked, maybe I'm wrong.  I'm ultimately compiling in Flash so of course Flash will give me the error b/c i compiles differently.

So basically, when I'm working in Flash Builder, I won't get compile error warnings if the class I"m writing is not declared first some where else?  Like if I'm writing a class that will get added sometime later in runtime?  I swear this worked before. Carelessly writing 'sdfdsfdsfdsf' somewhere in my class should give me SOMETHING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Or maybe it just NEVER worked.

Yes, it never worked. Flash Builder doesn't process a file unless it is used (directly or indirectly) by an Application, Module or Runtime CSS file.

> Carelessly writing 'sdfdsfdsfdsf' somewhere in my class should give me SOMETHING.

Not until it is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2011 Jan 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this whole time I thought it was broken.  This makes Flash Builder no fun for Flash Applications

Thanks for the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the absolute identical problem.

After my last edit - no syntax errors - Flash Builder no longer compiles a project.

Restarted Flash Builder. Created a new project and copied all sources. Nothing help. It just doesn't create the binary.

I see two problem reports.

Most of the time this one: An internal build error happened. See the error log for further details.

Then, suddenly, this one appears: Classes aren't allowed to be defined inside other classes.

Opened a bug report.

Mac OS X Lion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello.

I found a solution for Flash Builder not compiling SWFs.

1. Just remove your project from Package Explorer, widthout deleting files of course (right click on project name -> delete)

2. Close Flash Builder.

3. Check your process explorer if you have Flash Player running, if so, kill the process (ctrl+alt+del)

3. Import your project to Package Explorer (right click -> import -> file system)

4. It should work as intended now.

If it helps you - I am very glad.

Don't hesitate to thanks-email me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines