Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MultiLevel list formating in chm/webhelp is different in Word/PDF

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2011 Jan 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everybody!

I usually compile my RH (version 8) project in a chm file and the multilevel formatting appears fine. When I compile in WebHelp the formatting appears fine also.

But when I create a Word doc or PDF from RH the formatting of my multilevel lists are incorrect; the first line of the bullet or number is fine, but starting the the second line and all subsequent lines are shifted towards the bullet/number by a couple spaces.

I am using the same css for all formats.

After creating the Word & PDF doc, I opened the Word doc and see that the multilevel list styles do have different formating than what I was using in RH. The style names are also different but similar. The bullets in Word are a different font than what I am using in RH.

So that explains what happened. But I'd like to fix this and I am not sure of the best way to do it. I'd really like to end up with a seamless generation of my RH project to the Word doc & PDF.

I would appreciate any guidance.

Thx!

Deb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2011 Jan 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't we all like lists to be seamless. Welcome to the club!

Are you mapping to a CSS file and is it the same one used in all your topics or are you mapping to a Word template?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I think that I may have fixed my problem using a combination of options in the Printed Output snippet from your Web site.

First I applied RH's Style Mapping template to the doc generation and that fixed the formatting of the multilevel lists, but removed other formatting such as headings. But it was easier for me to re-apply all the missing header formatting instead of trying to format the lists, so that's what I did. Then I saved the doc to a template and regenerated the doc again applying the template.

The document is looking good now except for some minor table border issues.

But I do have another question about lists....when I type a list of comments (in normal style) in a topic and then apply bullets or numbers to the list (not multilevel), the words lose the normal style and become (none) style. Is there a way to fix that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is the behaviour since RoboHelp 8 and is by design. You can either set up your lists to define the font or you can apply a paragraph style AFTER applying the list style.

You don't have to apply a paragraph style in addition to the list style. Personally I prefer to as it means if I change Normal, my lists will change as well with no further work. That may not suit others so you have to decide which way you want to work.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp