• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have a Kobo authorization question, please!

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Kobo e-reader was functioning very well with Adobe and library books - then suddenly my content was locked! the message on my e-reader is that I need to authorize my e-reader with Adobe, but when I plug it in, Adobe does not offer me the option to set it up, it just appears in my library view.  I can't figure out how to re-authorize.  Can anyone help me?  I'm feeling a little desperate here!

Many thanks.

TOPICS
Install ADE

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2010 Jul 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem....The book

shows on my Kobo, but when I try to read it it say

"the contents you are trying to view are blocked " and to use my adobe reader ID to authorize my E-reader with the Kobo desktop application or adobe digital editions..I think I authorized it but the book is still locked...???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2010 Jul 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got an answer but now I can't find the forum......but here is what it basically told me to do.

Plug in your device.  Using windows explorer, look at the files on your device.  Find the one that says .adobe-digital-editions (or something similar but it begins with a "." It is the only file that begins with a .).  Look for the xml file with the ID# (this is where I'm sorry, I can't remember exactly what the file is called, but it's very short, just maybe 6-8 lines of code and the ID #is one of them.  Be careful.  There are other xml files, so look before you leap.  DELETE THAT FILE.  The whole file.  Then eject your Kobo and wait a few minutes.  (So I waited an hour.)

Go back and plug your Kobo in again.  The Adobe program will see a new device and will re-authorize it automatically.  TA DA!!! Worked for me.  Hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this & went to the .Adobe Digital Edition file and there is a file there called device which is an .xml file.  There are no others, not even with numbers.  Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, I was able to fix it another way.

I uninstalled ADE.

Reinstalled ADE.

Factory Reset my Kobo.

Downloaded my library book to ADE.

Then plugged Kobo into my laptop.

ADE automatically detected Kobo and reauthorized.

Synced to Kobo.

Book opened perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you!  I tried this and it worked.  I was so frustrated as I received

chat"help" from Adobe and he couldn't figure out how to fix it.  This really needs to be in the

troubleshooting section of KOBO as I spent over an hour trying to fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad it worked for you!  I know it was incredibly frustrating for me but I've had my Kobo over a month now and I LOVE it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This is the answer to what I suspect is a very common problem. This worked like a charm for me after three (useless) phone calls to Kobo's helpline and one useless online "chat" with Adobe -- none of them had a clue.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2010 Sep 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with downloaded library books. In my case, things used to work with my old AdobeID, but I needed to use a new one. What I ended up doing was similar to the reinstall steps above, but with the additional removal of some Kobo folders:

- deauthorize my Kobo in Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) using Ctrl-Shift-E
- deauthorize my computer in ADE using Ctrl-Shift-D
- remove the My Documents\My Digital Editions folder from my computer
  WARNING: backup your books if you need to. I didn't care myself since I could redownload.
- remove the G:\Digital Editions and G:\.adobe-digital-editions folders from my Kobo (G: is the drive my Kobo uses on my computer).
- unplug the Kobo
- reset the Kobo to factory settings via the Settings->Advanced choice in the Kobo menu.
- reinstall ADE, authorize the computer to my new Adobe ID
- plugin the Kobo, authorize it to my new Adobe ID

I then downloaded a new library book and success! I am reading it on the Kobo.

I found that the G:\.adobe-digital-editions\activation.xml was continuously present and referring to my old AdobeID. I needed to have it refer to my new one. This was probably the basic reason my new content was unreadable. Removing the file did not directly help. Removing the entire .adobe-digital-editions folder then doing a factory reset, and then reauthorizing finally made an activation.xml that referred to my new Adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 31, 2010 Dec 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I was having a problem getting library books on my Kobo. I did all these steps (besides removing ADE from my computer) and then was able to get the library book on my Kobo. Something must have been messed up with the device authorization but there is no way to re-authorize it without resetting the Kobo to factory settings.

Thanks for your help! (And the Kobo customer support told me that there was something wrong with the file from the library)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 15, 2011 Jan 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I have followed all the steps and it is still telling me that my books are locked and clues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wait another day.  I've done this more than once, and once I panicked and thought it didn't work, but after 24 hours - it worked.  So try after a day.  Sometimes ADE just needs time.  Have you asked the kobo people at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you read the books in ADE itself?

You might want to get in contact with Adobe and ask if they can reset

the devices associated with your id.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my device is working fine now, thanks!  I can read everything in ADE and on the device.  Apparently it just needed some time to reset itself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 30, 2011 Jan 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the fix that I needed. Thanks so much for the step by step process. After a frustrating few hours this was the quick fix that allowed me to start enjoying my new KOBO. Thanks again !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 31, 2011 Jan 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read all the 'fixes', followed the one back in July 2010, reset the Kobo, reloaded the book from the library, and still can't get the book loaded in a readable format from the library - at no point did a question come up to be answered about activating the device so I must be missing something.  I'm about to try a live body at Kobo unless someone else has another suggestion.

JK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me several tries to get mine to work.  Kobo help site JUST Responded to my email from almost a month ago.

I followed all the steps from above, and then I tried dragging the book to my literati memory.  That didn't work, so finally once I repeated all the steps and got the devise re authorized, I down loaded my library book and replugged in my literati.   I then instead of dragging a copy of the book from my digital down load file to the literati removable disc file, I  dragged the book from one bookshelf in the ADE to the book shelf labeled literati also in the ADE.  That did work for me finally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I actually talked to a  Kobo technical rep who talked me through the process - basically a drag & drop from the ADE library to the Kobo icon on the same ADE page. Now the only problem is that the type is so small I can barely read the book and it doesn't respond to increasing the size in the normal way.on the Kobo. Increasing it to 125% or higher results in some of the page going off the Kobo page to the right. I may just read the book on my laptop and get it over with.

Happy reading.

June

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if that happens you don't have an epub book you have a pdf book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

once the kobo is authorized with ade you should be able to download your library books to the main ade library and then move them over to kobo, no fooling around with any files or anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you plug in the kobo to your computer, bring up ade and walk away.  let ade do its thing for a while and it will recognize your kobo and ask you if you want to authorize your device.  then you say yes and bingo!  the thing is, you have to WAIT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I talked to a Kobo rep and got it going but I may have to go your route next time I load a book.June

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you plug in the kobo to your computer, bring up ade and walk away.  let ade do its thing for a while and it will recognize your kobo and ask you if you want to authorize your device.  then you say yes and bingo!  the thing is, you have to WAIT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 05, 2010 Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have authorization problem with

my KOBO e-reader and Adobe   Please resopnd to gspann@centurytel,net

-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2010 Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My kobo's working fine now - thanks.  Is yours giving you a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines