• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extended Find Like in Homesite?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking to see if ColdFusion builder has an Extended Find feature like what was in Homesite 5.x.  I use this feature all the time, but can't seem to figure out how to use the Search feature in CFBuilder.  Can anyone offer suggestions?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case someone knows CFB well, but wouldn't know HS5.x from a bar of soap... what does this feature do?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point.

It was very easy, I was able to view all my RDS servers and go to a folder and i would be able to search that folder and subfolders for any type of text that i needed, then it would just show the pages and tell me the lines that the code i was looking for was on.  So if I was looking for all instances of application.myvariable, it would then show me every instance, i could click on that search result and it would open the page and take me right to it.   I loved it and used it non stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dunno about the RDS side of things, but it sounds like Search > File to me.

--
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, doesn't work the same at all unless someone can tell me how to browser folders off an rds server.

My sites are not put in Projects in CFBuilder, or anythign like that.  I just go to all of our servers via rds and open the files to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2010 Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dunno.  I'd never edit files directly on the server, so wouldn't know how to go about that.

If you're editing files directly on the server, how do you handle source control?  Release control?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2010 Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have our Dev, Stage and Productions servers and we have our own procedures that work very well for us.  I am just hoping that someone who used to use Homesite 5.x would know what I am talking about here.  It would be a nice feature to have in CFBuilder if its not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the same feature quite often in Studio 4.5 and haven't figured out how to accomplish the task in CFBuilder.  My company also edits files directly on the development server and we've had to resort to keeping Studio installed on one computer for that specific use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "for that specific use", do you mean searching the files? Or editing them? I ask because (though I appreciate that some decry any direct editing of files on a remote server) you can indeed edit files on a remote server in CFBuilder, either via RDS or FTP.

But to the subject at hand, no, it doesn't currently let one do a find against the remote code.

That said, even if one prefers for some reason to edit the code on a remote server directly (some people just can't or won't install the free Developer edition and test locally first, let alone implement version control for more "proper" propagation of code from development to prod), I would propose that it would still be wise to always have a local copy of the code (that you save from the remote to local whenever you change it) so that a) you have a backup of the code and b) you could then more easily search that local code base (until CFB may offer a remote search ability).

Just some thoughts.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't intend for this thread to become a thread about proper coding procedures, but alot of places have different setups.  Some places don't want you to keep code locally, especially if you are a consultant and that's why they setup dev, staging and production servers.  I guess since I don't have access to a local setup, or set up my work as projects, the find feature in in CFB is not worth all that much.  Maybe in CFB2, it will be a bonus feature for me, but I guess until then I will have to keep HomeSite installed on my computer just for this one purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie.

I've certainly had environments in which the dev •database• was too big to store locally, and sometimes other resources that couldn't be local. But they're almost always mappable or "work-round-able".

Editing files outwith of a source control "working copy" and running on a common server just seems •foreign• to me. And in the situations it's cropped up, it's - without exception - been down to "bad process" rather than actually needing to do it that way.

I guess this is a wordy "+1" or "me too" to what you say.

Anyone using RDS should question why they're using it, I reckon.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we close this thread, it isn't helping anyone now.  I guess that's why I don't post on forums much anymore.  Whenever you do post a question, it becomes more of a lashing on "Oh my, why would you do that" or "that is not a good way of doing something".    A simple "sorry, that can't be done" is more than enough information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea of a forum IMHO is to educate, so if you ask a question, for someone to give the best answer they need to understand the whys and what fors.

Then give options, and input, even if it does't fit what you require, it may help others, or educate others.

As Adam said raise an Enhancement request: http://cfbugs.adobe.com/bugreport/flexbugui/cfbugtracker/main.html#bugId=85305

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Kev.

When're we having a pint? No need to wait for SotR: you're in London, yes? Hit me offline.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where's any of that coming from? What's wrong with people - who possibly are speaking from a position of experience & knowledge - disagreeing with you? It's pretty presumptuous of you to think other people don't have a valid opinion when it comes to hearing how you do stuff.

For example I used to do exactly what you do, but I eventually found it was a less than ideal way of doing things, and have never done it since. And it's almost never necessary. I am now one of the lead developers on what we think is the largest CF site in the UK. No horn-blowing there - I'm not proud of a lot of our code - but when it come to CF development practices... I •do• know what I'm talking about.

But not compared to Charlie. He's a •god• of CF. So if he says or suggests something: listen. He'd be one of only two people I'd categorically heed, when it comes to CF: Mike Brunt would be the other one.

So ask yourself: why are you being defensive

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks for the kind regards. But I bow to many others, including several of you here in this forum, and in this very thread.

To THEIDEABULB, I can't tell if you were referring to a comment of mine, as Adam suggests below, but if so, I'll say that I certainly had no bad blood at all intended in my comments. Like he and Kev and others have said, I was just sharing experience, trying to help you find alternatives, probing for motivations, etc.

Like them, I think it's an overreaction to suggest that this thread is the kind of thing that shows the problem with forums. The beauty of them, instead, is that being forums, people can read them or not. If they benefit, great, if not, they can move on (or choose to stop reading the thread).

So I hope you'll reconsider. We are all here to help each other. It's like family: we may not always appreciate each other's opinions, or even get along, but we're all in this together, so no need to storm out from the holiday party. Relax, and have another piece of Aunty's apple pie. And can someone pass me the gravy.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no way you can map a drive or make a junction or something to the remote box? Less than ideal, but might get you working?

Have you raised a bug with Adobe?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2011 Feb 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THEIDEABULB wrote:

It [Homesite Extended Find] was very easy, I was able to view all my RDS servers and go to a folder and i would be able to search that folder and subfolders for any type of text that i needed, then it would just show the pages and tell me the lines that the code i was looking for was on.  So if I was looking for all instances of application.myvariable, it would then show me every instance, i could click on that search result and it would open the page and take me right to it.   I loved it and used it non stop.

You can indeed use Homesite to search files in the file-system. In my opinion, that is not possible in Eclipse.

Eclipse requires you to first 'mount' the folder(project) to be searched in the workspace, as all file searches occur within the context of a workspace.  You then simply click on such a folder(project) to highlight it. Next you proceed to the Search menu, click on File, and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It [Homesite Extended Find] was very easy, I was able to view all my RDS servers and go to a folder and i would be able to search that folder and subfolders ...

Eclipse requires you to first 'mount' the folder(project) to be searched in the workspace, as all file searches occur within the context of a workspace.  You then simply click on such a folder(project) to highlight it. Next you proceed to the Search menu, click on File, and so on.

How do you do all that for an RDS-based resource?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was very easy, I was able to view all my RDS servers and go to a folder and i would be able to search that folder and subfolders for any type of text that i needed, then it would just show the pages and tell me the lines that the code i was looking for was on.  So if I was looking for all instances of application.myvariable, it would then show me every instance, i could click on that search result and it would open the page and take me right to it.   I loved it and used it non stop.

I have not found a way of doing this via RDS (I gave it another crack this afternoon).  However there's an Eclipse extension called RSE which makes this pretty easy.  One does need to install a small daemon on the remote box though (which is the equivalent of what CF's doing with RDS anyhow).

It took me about an hour to track down, and about 10min to get working - without bothering to read any docs - once I found out about it.

It's not "out-of-the-box" like with HS+, but it does integrate completely into Eclipse once it's set-up.

So... google "Eclipse remote search", and you're on your way...

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2011 Jan 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I must confess that i am also in the same boat as THEIDEABULB I think im still in love with homesite, even after now using CFB for about a year (i think), I still have Homesit open every day in the background to do my find and replaces.

I rasied a request back in March

http://cfbugs.adobe.com/bugreport/flexbugui/cfbugtracker/main.html#bugId=82472

I must say i have come across a few bugs with CFB and have logged them all however they all appear to still be issues.

THEIDEABULB I know what you mean about 'the problem with forums' I also develop remotley (RDS,FTP / dev, staging, live) and whenever i have mentioned this before I get the third degree, from everyone. People only mean well and I must agree with them, working locally would be great for source control and speed.

I would love to implement a change in process and start to develop Locally, and use some source control, in fact i have managed to get a test environment going with "GIT" however Time is money and my employers current targets dont really see this as a prioroty (regardless of my constant pleading) (we have a very intensive backup system in place anyway).

Could some one suggest some ways it might be possible to persuade management that this change in process is worthwhile (without mentioning backup) and

any tips on how to do it?

Cheers in advance

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben, things depend greatly on how many developers are involved. If perhaps you are on your own, you could just consider installing the free CF developer edition on your local machine, and develop and test there. Then you can just FTP changes up to the server. No "need" for version control, but it will often help you. Then again, CFBuilder/Eclipse has a built-in poor man's version control, in its "local history" feature, but it really is bare bones compares to a real VCS (then again, it may be all that some need, so don't dismiss it.)

If you do have multiple developers, a VCS really would be wise, but it also begs the question of whether to have each developer with their own copy of CF, and/or have a central testing server (which is now "free" as of CF9: if you buy a prod license, you can use it freely for testing servers). I'll leave it to others to elaborate on both version control and dev/test server configs and their pros/cons.

Of course, whether you have one or multiple developers, when you talk about doing development on a box separate from production, someone will of course then ask, "but what about the database". That's certainly another matter. You could keep a local copy of that (again, there are free versions of even the commercial database servers like SQL Server and Oracle, which I offer links to at http://www.cf411.com/#dbfree), or you could perhaps connect from your local environment to your remote prod db (but that may not work, and may not be wise).

Hope that's a start at your answer.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Charlie that source control is very important, but it depends on your company.  I'm from a small company of only four developers (five if you count the CEO).  We have a development server that we use to modify/test code and then a production server that we push our changes to.  We have our own way of using source control.  My boss created a cf page that lists all the files on our development server which we can "check out" and "check in", so to speak.  It doesn't physically block access from anyone modifying a page that is checked out - but we can see who has what pages checked out and it seems to work for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear (in case someone reads this note and not my last one), I did say that whether source control makes sense does depend on circumstances. I've never been one to say "everyone mustor even shoulddo it".

And that goes back to the first talk I ever gave at a CF conference, at the first "national CF conference" at Fort Collins in 1998, where one of my two talks was in fact on version control. So I really do understand why it works for some and not for others.

That said, it's just like getting into OO, or using a new editor, or some other things: it's just sometimes a matter of biting the bullet and using a new technology long enough to grok it. Then you may become fanatical like some others, who would wonder how folks could ever do without.

But to this thread, I'll repeat that I get why some prefer to use RDS, and will miss the fact that CFB doesn't let you find across it. The CFB team knows people want it, so perhaps we can look forward to it in the next release. Until then, it may be motivation for some to consider alternative practices. That's all I've been saying.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst that approach adds a degree of control over your source (so, strictly speaking, could be referred to as "source control"), stopping people simultaneously editing a file by way of controlling the integrity of the source is a pretty old-school way of going about thing.  With decent source / version software, there's seldom a requirement to lock files (or "single thread" access to them), because the source control software is able to cope with more thanone person editing a file simultaneously.  We've got 15 CF devs all banging away at our code base, and it's very rare we have a conflict with our updates.

Also, your system doesn't do anything about VERSIONING your code, and similarly doesn't really given you the ability to have release / rollback packages, which is a significant part of source control's raison d'etre (and should be a significant part of how code is released to production).

Also it occurs to me... why did your boss waste time creating this system when it takes about 10min to get SVN up and running?  I presume it takes a similar amount of time to get GIT up and running too?  It does not sound like a sensible or well-thought-out use of their time, really.  Still: it's there now, I s'pose 😉

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation