5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2011 8:27 AM by HarryPutnam RSS

How to make Image/size/resolution agree with metadata resolution?

HarryPutnam Community Member

After scanning the help file a bit and searching thru this forum a bit with `metadata resolution' as search criteria, I'm still pretty confused about how it is supposed to work.. I may have never actually found the right part of the help file.

Cutting to the chase: How can I make the resolution reported by the metadata tab for resolution agree with what is reported inside photoshop at Image/size resolution.  I didn't see any way to set how res is reported in bridge.

I see many pictures reported in metadata as 72 ppi for resolution and  reported in photoshop as 200 pixel/inch

They do BOTH mean pixels per inch right?  If so, or really even if they don't how can I get the two reports to show the same resolution?

There are too many processes that depend on knowing res in advance of opening a file for that to be so far divergent.

• 1. Re: How to make Image/size/resolution agree with metadata resolution?
          Jingshu Li Community Member

Some JPG or Tiff with Camera raw settings will be opened in ACR firstly when you double click them. In ACR workflow option (the bottom in the ACR dialog) the resolution value isn’t same with that in Bridge (metadata panel). If you go ahead to open the image in PS by clicking ‘Open Image’ button in ACR dialog and then check the image size from Image -> Image Size in PS, the resolution will be same with ACR (actually it is changed by ACR).

If disable ACR support for JPG and Tiff in Bridge (Open Camera Raw Preferences in Bridge and choose ‘Disable JPEG support’ or ‘Disable TIFF support’ for ‘JPEG and TIFF Handling’), JPG or TIFF files will be opened by PS directly and the resolution matches between Bridge and PS. I believe this is an ACR bug.

So what file types are you using and if they’re opened by ACR firstly in your workflow?

• 2. Re: How to make Image/size/resolution agree with metadata resolution?

Jingshu Li wrote:

Some JPG or Tiff with Camera raw settings will be opened in ACR firstly when you double click them. In ACR workflow option (the bottom in the ACR dialog) the resolution value isn’t same with that in Bridge (metadata panel). If you go ahead to open the image in PS by clicking ‘Open Image’ button in ACR dialog and then check the image size from Image -> Image Size in PS, the resolution will be same with ACR (actually it is changed by ACR).

If disable ACR support for JPG and Tiff in Bridge (Open Camera Raw Preferences in Bridge and choose ‘Disable JPEG support’ or ‘Disable TIFF support’ for ‘JPEG and TIFF Handling’), JPG or TIFF files will be opened by PS directly and the resolution matches between Bridge and PS. I believe this is an ACR bug.

So what file types are you using and if they’re opened by ACR firstly in your workflow?

The files are *.jpg.   But I don't see where camera raw comes in.  These are common jpg files.  I'm opening them by double click in bridge.

Any way I did disable jpg and tiff in the Camera Raw preferences as you suggested.  At Jpeg and tiff handling, both disabled. and restared bridge.

However, I see no improvment.

For example, a file reporting 72 ppi in bridge when opened in photoshop ... Images/size resolution reports 480 pixels/inch.

There is obviously some kind of miss handling that has been done to these files for them to have such a high resolution.   I suspect they may have been handled at Walgreens or Walmart... or similar since I had something very similar happen to me once when I had a bunch of pictures developed at Walgreens and they cam back with resolutions like that, when I know the camera would have given them something way less.

But I don't see how any of that should be effecting Bridges  inability to get the resolution right.

Here is another example: some.jpg

It appears that bridge is showing an unusually huge file size in inches, to account for the reported 72 ppi.

Bridge:

Size: ...............1.14mb

Dimensions:.....1496x1064

Dimensions in

inches ............20.8x26.7

Resolution: .....72 ppi

===========================

Photoshop:

pixels

Width 1496

height 2064

-----------------------------

Document size

inches

width  4.987

height 6.88

Resolution 300

Do you have further suggestions?

• 3. Re: How to make Image/size/resolution agree with metadata resolution?
              Jingshu Li Community Member

What happen if you save the JPEG in Photoshop? Does the resolution match in PS and BR after save?

BTW, I sent a private message to you. Please check and waiting for your more info.

Thanks,

• 4. Re: How to make Image/size/resolution agree with metadata resolution?

Jingshu Li wrote:

What happen if you save the JPEG in Photoshop? Does the resolution match in PS and BR after save?

BTW, I sent a private message to you. Please check and waiting for your more info.

Thanks,

I can't answer the first question... something messy has happened now after I went into Preferences and changed what items of information should appear in metatdata.... I have resolution checked but on many of the images where it was reporting 72 ppi it now shows nothing whatever for resolution.  I checked back in `preferences' to make doubly sure I had resolution checked.... It is checked yet in many images there is no `resolution' reported.

It was not clear if you meant saved from PS as jpg or psd.   But, once saved from PS in either format, the resolution reported matches the resolution reported in PS.

Here is an additional bit of info.   A jpg that reports no resolution at all in Bridge, reports a resolution of 300 in PS, however, once saved from PS as jpg, the duplicate with a new name now reports 300 ppi in bridge or PS.

• 5. Re: How to make Image/size/resolution agree with metadata resolution?

Thanks,

I've replied via email... thanks for your interest