• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Outputting multiple webhelp outputs from single source - recommendations?

Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think I already know the answer to this, but am really hoping there may be an easier solution...

I'm currently using RH8 and outputting a very large project to webhelp.

The existing project called, for example, Gizmo, will still exist.

However, soon, we will be marketing more specific, feature-based versions - Gizmo Lite A, Gizmo Lite B, Gizmo Lite C, Gizmo Lite D, Gizmo Lite E, Gizmo Lite F, depending on the what the customer requires.

Someone may buy Gizmo, in which case they will get the full help.

However, they may only buy an individual Gizmo Lite license or a combination of Gizmo Lite licenses, in which case they will only get the help which corresponds to the features they have purchased.

I understand that I can create several webhelp outputs, with new TOCs and indexes for each and that I could potentially use conditional build tags to control every topic and whether it is included in the output for Gizmo Lite A, Gizmo Lite B, etc. 

BUT, this seems like a huge amount of manual effort in conditional build tags alone, let alone TOC setup, as it is a massive legacy project.

Plus, the conditional build tags seem to be aimed at excluding tagged items from the output, rather than just including tagged items that you want (unless I've missed something)...

Is there a simpler, less time-consuming way to do this before I embark on this mammoth undertaking? 

Thanks for any help or advice.

Feebeegeebee

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can consider upgrading to RoboHelp 9, it has a unique feature that would meet all your needs called Dynamic User-Centric Content. You can find a summary of this and other features in RoboHelp 9 here.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure there's any budget for an upgrade, but I can ask.

So, I guess I'm going to have to get tagging anyway...

Thanks,

Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're left in the dark and dingy past you  may want to consider the following...

Tag the TOC books / pages with the conditional build tags. This means you'd not have to tag the actual topics (unless of course the tag is at the content level). Then duplicate the required Single Source Layout amending the Conditional Build Tag expression in it accordingly. That way you could generate each layout to include the required content.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst DUCC will give a dropdown allowing users to select their product, you will still need to tag content to get the different outputs so it may not save you time. The benefit of DUCC is for the user. They pick their product and then the TOC, search and so on are specific to the topics they have selected.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum and Peter for your replies.

I think I will have to prepare for relentless tagging, especially, as a certain proportion will also need to be at content level.

However, I did spot in a different discussion that you can select a folder within the Project Manager and tag everything in it, rather than selecting every file individually. That's not going to magically solve everything, but I can apply one tag to a folder and then go through and apply a different tag for individual files and content, which will lessen the pain slightly...

Thanks again!

Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Fiona

Just a couple of things to note.

I saw Colum suggest tagging the TOC. Personally, I'd advise against that. In my own use of the feature I see odd behavior. You tag things and they still show up, etc. If you don't want something in the TOC, just tag the topic and because it's excluded from the build it will be automatically removed from the TOC.

As for tagging a folder, please note that this is a sweep action. Sometimes folks tag a folder and expect that down the road, anything added to the folder should also be tagged as if by tagging the folder you are establishing an ongoing relationship. But that's not the case. Tagging the folder simply instructs RoboHelp to apply the tag to everything it finds inside. From there forward, if you add perhaps 5 topics, you would need to tag the folder again. Or, just tag the five topics. But tagging the folder is simpler and is not harmful to the topics that are already tagged.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp