Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto Import -- how to disable?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2010 Feb 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to disable auto import.

I uncheck "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected" under Edit - preferences - Import.  However, it rechecks itself when I close lightroom down.  Then whenever I put in a storage device -- a memory card, external hard drive, flash drive, etc -- Lightroom starts up and wants to import from that device.

How do I prevent this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

I don't know if you still have this problem, but I fixed mine easily. The settings you are trying to chase down aren't in Lightroom they are standard import settings in your Windows 7 control panel. Go to Start>Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Autoplay - in there will be two major settings that are causing, or at least caused my Lightroom to open upon adding any external USB source with media content on it.

"Pictures" needs to be set to the default device you want to use, or you can do as I did a

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More info please. What kind of OS are you on? Have you installed any software that came with your camera? I believe Canon software on a Mac allows you to specify what program is launched when you hook up your camera to the computer. That setting also defaults to other USB devices (e.g., card readers).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Vista.  I did not install any Canon software.  I do not connect my camera to the computer but rather I use a card reader.  But it also does the same thing for all storage devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrade to 2.6. This was a bug in 2.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2010 Mar 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry- I have the same problem, and I already have version 2.6

I'm running windows 7 64-bit on a quad core system, and I too am unable to  stop lightroom from importing from whatever media I insert in the USB port.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 08, 2010 Mar 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on win7 x64 and LR 2.6 and am not having the problem. When I was using 2.5 I did a registry hack to prevent LR from resetting its registry value to on all the time. If you just upgraded fro 2.5 to 2.6 you probably still have 2.5 installed and you should uninstall it. That should clear up the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2010 Mar 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Mac OS X.6.2 on An intel imac. Lightroom v2.6 new install from disc full retail. Auto import is relentless!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2010 Mar 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to "Auto Import" in the File menu where Lightroom watches a specific folder and imports items without displaying the Import dialog box? Or about the the setting that opens the Import dialog box when a memory card is inserted?

I just experimented with both using LR 2.6 on Mac with OX 10.4.11 and was able to enable and disable both options.

Auto Import (watching a specific folder, which does not show the import dialog box):

Go to the File menu in Lightroom

Click on Auto Iimport

Click on Enable Auto Import to turn it on (if there isn't a checkmark showing)

or

Click on Enable Auto Import to turn it off (if there is a checkmark showing).

I've just turned it off/on/off/on a few times and it did not auto import images moved into the watched folder while it was turned off.

For the option to automatically display the Import dialog box when a memory card is inserted or a camera is plugged in, I had to go to Lightroom, Preferences, Import, and check or uncheck the box that says "Show import dialog when a memory card is disabled." Again, I tried turning it on/off a few times and inserted memory cards with images and the import dialog only popped up when the box was checked.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2010 May 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Mac Mini Snow Leopard OS. EVERY time I plug in my iPod, Lightroom (2.7) launches. NO option to turn it off in Lightroom, and no way to tell the latest version of iTunes that it's not a storage device. Help!

I will switch to Apple's Aperture if this keeps up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, launch the program Image Capture.  Under preferences, "Camera: When a camera is connected, open:" then select "No application".  I think that will do it.  When I have that setting and plug in my iPhone, LR 2.x will not launch.  If LR 2.x is open, then it will opent the download images dialog (the behavior I am looking for).  See if that helps.

John

John G. Blair Studio

Occidental, California

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent advice, thank you! I actually had to plug in the iPod so the option would appear at the bottom of the left window. But, it did give me the ability to stop launching Lightroom and any other application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  In my case, I just launched Image Capture and went to preferences to find the options.  I didn't have to plug anything in.  Besides setting it to "No application" you also use that section to select the program if you do want one to launch.  The program could be Image Capture, iPhoto, Lightroom, or any of your other programs.

John

John G. Blair Studio

Occidental, California

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to correct the problem by installing 2.6.  Thanks everyone.

Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running 3.3 64 bit with windows 7 and had that problem and what fixed it for me was clicking Edit-Preferences-General and under Import Options uncheck the box that says "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2011 Sep 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet, thank you 737mechanic for this information.

I too use Win7x64 and was constantly annoyed that anytime I plugged in my GPS or MP3 player or just about anything LR3 would open.  I am now at peace with LR3.  ;->

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2011 Oct 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your suggestion worked for me too...thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 737,

I'm running Win 7 Pro 64bit and LR 4.0. 

When I visited LR>Edit>Preferences>General, the "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected" was already unchecked.

I finally had to check it, exit LR, restart LR and uncheck that box.  That did the trick.

Thanks again,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  That really works!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Enable Auto Import isn't available, I am on 64 bit/Win 7 machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard my last post, 737mechanic's fix worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you still have this problem, but I fixed mine easily. The settings you are trying to chase down aren't in Lightroom they are standard import settings in your Windows 7 control panel. Go to Start>Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Autoplay - in there will be two major settings that are causing, or at least caused my Lightroom to open upon adding any external USB source with media content on it.

"Pictures" needs to be set to the default device you want to use, or you can do as I did and Window's standardly does and set it to ask me everytime. This enables that popup window that asks which device and action you want to use when inserting a new USB storage device.

The same setting needs to be changed for "Mixed Content" as this will try and find all different types of media file formats compatible with Lightroom.

This should fix your problem as it did mine, I have Windows 7 and they have a lot of Auto settings that need to be changed from time to time!

Hope this helped,

Sky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very simple go to >>Start >> Type "Autoplay" >> click on "Start or stop using Autoplay for all media and devices" >> go to "pictures" and make it "Ask me everytime" and also for the" mixed content" and the problem will be solved,,,"for windows 7".

I hope this is helful to you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone makes things so complicated and I knew it too was in Control panel > something.... and did it in the past but forgot. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your answer! Here is the same thing for Windows 10. Because of your post I was easily able to search control panel in windows 10 for the same answer. 🙂 autoImportDisable.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines