Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Launching a CHM from Winhelp.

Jun 28, 2006 Jun 28, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Winhelp 4 for context sensitive help in our application (as it supports bullets, formatting, links, etc. etc.). However, when I link to a topic in the main reference manual (for which I used HTMLHelp) nothing much is happening. The format of the link is for example,

More information blah blah blah can be found hereJumpHtml('mk:@MSITStore:ISIS.chm::/General_Concepts/Miscellaneous.htm')

This was formed by creating a jump to an external topic from within the help system.However, this is not working (I simply get the 1024 message regarding problem with the help file) - the .HLP file and the .CHM file are in same directory on the local drive.

As a secondary point : clearly the CHM file needs to be launched from the application. Is there a resource available or can someone help with an explanation of how to launch an HTML help file on a network drive without Windows objecting.

Thanks,
Iain.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 28, 2006 Jun 28, 2006
Iain,

I believe you need to use the ExecFile macro ("EF" for short) to do this. Either of the following forms should work:

EF(`hh.exe',`ms-its:helpfile.chm::/topic.htm',1)
EF(hh.exe,ms-its:helpfile.chm::/topic.htm)

where "hh.exe" is the executable used to open .chm files, and "ms-its:helpfile.chm::/topic.htm" specifies the required help file and topic.

More information here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/vsconhtlink6.asp

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On running a CHM file on a network, click here.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter - that solves problem 2.

Totally tearing my hair out now with the first issue. That is, a link in a Winhelp popup (context sensitive message) cannot launch a topic in a CHM file (I'm using Insert - Help Jump - external topic). I can see the topics in the CHM file from within my project and I can create the link without any problems - it simply doesn't work when I click the link from the popup :-(

I can create an identical link from the main window (rather than a popup window) and clicking on that link will launch the CHM topic inside the main window.

I wonder therefore if this has something to do with the Window hosting the topic, although I can see no way to specify a different window when I create the external topic.

Anybody ??

Iain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Iain,

I believe you need to use the ExecFile macro ("EF" for short) to do this. Either of the following forms should work:

EF(`hh.exe',`ms-its:helpfile.chm::/topic.htm',1)
EF(hh.exe,ms-its:helpfile.chm::/topic.htm)

where "hh.exe" is the executable used to open .chm files, and "ms-its:helpfile.chm::/topic.htm" specifies the required help file and topic.

More information here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/vsconhtlink6.asp

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That does it.

Lifesaver jacket for Pete :-)

Thanks,
Iain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp