• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Edit/Fill out pdf form in acrobat; PLEASE HELP, Urgent!

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to whoever hopefully reads this and helps me.  I'm not an acrobat user, so I'm a noob and rather unfamiliar.  I'm trying to fill out a very important job app and am unable to do so.  I've become very frustrated.

I own Reader, but found out I can't edit the doc in that.  So I downloaded the Acrobat Pro trial version.  I'm still unable to edit the doc.  Here are some clues:

1.  The regular icon doesn't turn into the "I beam" when I drag it over fields that I need to fill in.

2.  When I go to properties, security, security method is set to none, and document restrictions are all set to "allowed."

3.  Lastly, there's this little blue circle with an "I' in it at the top of the doc.  It reads:  "The files you have opened complies with pdf/a standard and has been opened read only to prevent modification."

Someone, anyone PLEASE HELP!  Thanks a million.  I need this job!

regards,

adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The form probably does not have fields, so you'll have to use the Typewriter tool or add your own fields, which is a lot of work.

But you need to first turn off PDF/A mode: Edit > Preferences > Documents > View Documents in PDF/A mode> Never

To activate the Typewriter tool, see: http://blogs.adobe.com/vikrant/2010/11/where-is-the-typewriter-tool-in-acrobat-x/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much for your help George.  I figured out the form didn't have

fillable fields and figured out how to turn the typewriter on.  Thanks a lot, I appreciate it greatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The form was probably created to be printed and filled out by hand (print recommended). George has indicated the process for editing as you requested, but that is likely more than the potential employer was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help Bill.  I would like your professional/academic opinion since it looks like your at Virginia Tech maybe.  This job app is for a teaching position at a university in Argentina.  I'm American.  On the app, it does say to fill out in black ink.  But there are no instructions about sending it back via snail mail or scanning it and emailing it.  So what am I to do then?  I don't know what is best.  Do I fill it out then in black ink and scan it, or do I fill in the field with the typewriter function and email it back?  I'm confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines