I don't know whether i got your set up properly but let me try answering you or letting you know few things.
First of all there is no need for FMS and web server to be on same machine.
Second thing there is no need to install FMS under your webspace if you are using same machine.
FMS comes with default Apache installation which already has "fms_adminConsole.htm" present in its webroot - so you can use that instead if you can afford to run Apache as well your already working web server (may be on different ports)
I would suggest uninstall your current installation, do fresh install without modifying anything during installation , keep everything default. Once you are done with installation - whatever you want to be available via web, you copy those swf's in your webspace even fms_adminConsole.htm - but i would like to let you know in proper set up you should not make port 1111 open to the world on which Admin Server is running.
I dont think if I exactly got your question correctly, but let me try to enumerate few steps that may help you:
1. Untar the zip file and run ./installFMS script.
2. It will install FMS inside /opt/adobe/fms folder.
3. After installtion make sure that fmsedge and fmamaster process are running on your linux machine, you may try "ps aux | grep fms" command to see if these process are there.
4. If fmsedge process is running that means, it is listening on 1935 port for rtmp connection on your machine (unless you have modified the fms.ini file to listen on some other port)
5. Now, you can conenct to this server using any FP swf file (you may like to use the sample video player shipped with fms) using ipaddress e.g. rtmp://ipaddress/application/streamname (for vod example URL will look like as "rtmp://ipaddress/vod/sample")
6. As far as admin console is concerned, you need to use URL something like http://ipaddress/swfs/fms_adminConsole.swf, but before this make sure doing http://ipaddress shows up with AdobeFlashMediaServer page.
You may also like to see the logs folder to check for any kind of issue, you can find it inside /opt/adobe/fms/logs and look to edge.00.log, core.00.log, master.00.log files.
Hope these steps will help you out.
3) You know I just tried ps aux | grep fms
root 13479 0.0 0.0 61168 668 pts/0 S+ 12:05 0:00 grep fms
2) on the server I installed it on...when I go to http://<ipaddress> i just see
the default plesk website holding page.
the HTTP video plays fine...the RTMP video in the flash it just has text in read
titled "THE CONNETION TIMED OUT...blah blah blah more text blah......."
I am no server guru...more middle and frontend but...
the process to install is I uploaded the "FlashMediaServer4_x64.tar.gz"
to a subdomain...(in one of the virtual sites)
via ssh I installed as instructed by the adobe manual...in my server I certainly see
some stuff that looks normal then.....
Failed to create listner for .........
failed to starte edge:.....
the file core.00.log does not exist....
Thanks for you help....what do you think....I have tried to install this FMS three times....previously...
the results as to the above http://subdomain.domainname/FMS_4_0_0_r1121/webroot/
"THE CONNETION TIMED OUT...blah blah blah more text blah......." is always the same...any ideas?