• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you sync the links in Contents section to Index and Search sections?

Jan 26, 2011 Jan 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to synchronize the links in Contents to Index and Search sections?

I received this comment, but I'm not sure how to correct the problem:

"The links in the “Contents” section is out of sync with the links in the “Index” and “Search” sections.  Really what is suppose to happen, it that the same content and links should exist in all three sections (Contents, Index and Search). "

Thanks!

Erin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2011 Jan 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erin

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Are you saying that if perhaps you locate a topic via Search, that the TOC should be synchronized to show where the topic is in the TOC structure (assuming it exists in the TOC structure)? If so, that functionality is present and may be configured to work in all outputs. (You didn't say what your output is)

The Index is another story. I've never seen a help system where when a topic is presented in the topic panel that any index keywords would also be highlighted. I'm not sure how that would even be possible. But it strikes me that you may be asking this.

Same goes with Search. The Search area is normally blank and devoid of information until something is searched upon. So I'm curious what one would expect to see in the Search panel if a full text search is offered. All the same words that the topic has?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 27, 2011 Jan 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I interpret it correctly, I guess the feedback I am getting is that in the WebHelp output, an entry that is in the Contents is not the exact same as what is in the Index or what you would find when you search.  Are Index and Search done manually, or is there an automatic way to do them?  I'm guessing manually, but I'm new to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2011 Jan 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again

So you actually brought up another point I had not considered. I'm guessing you aren't really talking about synchronization, but instead are talking about the way the links read. For example, in the Table of Contents, you might see something such as: How to fuel your new car. And the index might have How to put gas in the vehicle. And in Search it says Refueling the Land Cruiser. Is that it?

Indeed there are automated ways of creating the Table of Contents as well as the Index. Those automated ways will generally use whatever is configured for the Topic Title for their results. But these are simply avenues that you use to tell RoboHelp, go look at what I have and build a TOC (or Index) based on what you find. If you change things later, they don't change to follow suit. You would either need to re-run the wizards or manually edit the content.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp