• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems Creating CHM output

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've Inherited a vast help project from a predecessor that includes multiple layouts.  Previously, the deliverable help systems were in WebHelp format.  My project manager wants to do away with the multiple folders and files of that format and move to an HTML system with a single chm file as a client deliverable.  However, when I created two new layouts as HTML and compiled them I received the following error in the middle of the compilation:

Warning: The size of stop file has to be limited in 512 bytes.

C:\Help\Detailed Model License\!chm_tmp_folder_0\UIPlanner_Help.hhp
Microsoft HTML Help Compiler 4.74.8702

Compiling c:\Help\Detailed Model License\UIPlanner_Help.chm

and the next message at the end of the compilation:

Fatal Error: Unexpected error from Microsoft HTML compiler.
Finished compiling HTMLHELP in 50 sec(s)

Compilation complete.

Needles to say, the chm file would not open.  Could there be an issue with size, as this layout would be quite large?  Do I need to update my Windows HTML compiler?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You probably just need to reset the stop list to the default settings.

To reset the Stop List:

1. Click File > Project Settings...
  2. Click the Advanced button.
    tmp1.png
  3. Click the Stop List tab and then the Reset to Default button.
    tmp2.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick:

I did as you suggested and am still getting the same errors, including the Fatal Error: Unexpected error from Microsoft HTML compiler at the end. This error only occurs when I try to generate my layout with everything in the help project, regardless of build tags. When I try a smaller layout, it generates fine and produces a chm file that is about 13 megs. The entire project compiled would have an output of about 5 times that size. Is size an issue in generating HTML help systems?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, so it wasn't the stop file then. Darn, I was hoping that would solve it.

So we dig deeper. Try the following:

Create a totally new layout for Microsoft HTML Help. Don't duplicate, just create a new one and see if it works. If so, then you tweak it as you like.

If the new layout fails, you have other issues. You then likely have a problem with one of the files in your project. You might then enable the Output View (Tools > Options > General tab) and see if anything is listed. Oh wait, that's where you saw the message. Duh...

Okay, so what HTML file is listed before it dies? Perhaps look at that one. Or...

Copy your project to a different folder. Delete half the topics and compile. Does it work? If so, you keep repeating this process until you isolate where the problem child is hiding.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll leave Rick to assist you with the generation problem but there is something else to consider here. You have been creating webhelp and are now going to create CHMs. Has your project manager considered that CHMs do not work from a server without making registry changes.

See http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/chm_mspatch/896358.htm for more information.

Are the CHMs going to be installed on the end users desktop machines?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

I created a new layout and generated it. I received the same error message during the compile. I opened the topic appearing in the output view just before the Fatal Error Message, suspecting it was the problem. After creating a new topic, copying the contents from the bad file to the new topic, deleting the original topic and redoing any links and TOC entries, the layout generated.

Thanks for the help Rick! Now I just have to pass on the potential problems with chm files versus WebHelp to my project manager.

Elizabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2011 Jan 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't sure whether to add to this post or start a new one but the former won out.

Like others in this forum, I too have the Fatal Error message when creating CHM output. Here is my scenario:

1. I have a RoboHelp 7 file that I successfully used and made a .chm file.

2. I needed to make changes to the files so I copied the whole directory and made the changes. (only minor text changes)

3. When I now try to make the new .chm file, I get the Fatal Error message as stated in this thread.

4. I tried the fixes mentioned here (with the .cpd file and the last file prior to crash) and nothing has helped.

5. Let me add that I can successfully generate a Word doc, and WebHelp. It is just the Microsoft HTML Help that doesn't work (of course this is the one that I need. immediately).

6. I needed to upgrade to RoboHelp 9 for another project anyway, so I bought the new version and installed it.

7. When I try to open the project with RH 9, I get the "project created in older version - would you like to upgrade" message (paraphrase) and when I click the upgrade button, it CRASHES RH 9.

Is this project a total loss?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I wouldn't say it is. You likely have a lone topic that is the cause of the mess. So here is a tried and true way of working. Divide and conquer.

Working with copies of your project, delete half the topics and try compiling. Still crash or not? If it still crashes, delete the other half and try again. See if it's sucessful. That will tell you there is an issue with a topic in that first batch. So take the first batch and split it again by removing half the topics.

The goal is to keep splitting until you narrow down a manageable few topics. Then you try removing a topic at a time until you find the culprit.Hopefully it's just a single topic, but it could be two or three!

I suppose another approach would be to create a new blank project and import several topics from the suspect project. Compile and test. No crash, import more. Rinse and repeat.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I'll give this a shot and report back. May not be until tomorrow. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I actually used it to identify the topic that was causing the problem and just imported the text content to a Word doc, deleted the offending topic, created a new one and restored the text, jumps and graphics.

I know I make my living off of Adobe Robohelp, but I can't help wondering:  Why is Robohelp such a ???? (expletive deleted by forum admin)?! I can't begin to describe the hoops I've had to jump through to get my SSL's to generate properly (e.g., If you change the TOC for a layout, then try to use an existing SSL, it won't pick up the revised TOC.  You have to create a new layout and delete the old for it to pick up the changes.)   Oh for the days of Blue Sky Software.  I tell you if anyone, company, developer, etc., comes up with an even halfway decent alternative to RH for help development, Adobe's RH product will be left in the dust.  I am sure I am not the only technical writer out there who is completely fed up with Adobe's RH inadequacies.

Elizabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL. Elizabeth, you SAID IT! I am forced to use RH for reasons I won't bore you with but boy, if I didn't have to use it, I sure wouldn't.

This vague "Fatal Error" is just so mind boggling because it can be due to so many things. And for Adobe to pick up this product and not improve it the way they have with other products, is surprising and disappointing at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diana

So please bore us with the details. I'd really like to know what you find to be the pain points of RoboHelp. Have you submitted Bug Reports or Feature Requests? If not, then Adobe is unaware of your issues. And they can't be faulted for not fixing what nobody reported, eh?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2011 Jan 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Details are that the RoboHelp project is created by someone else that I must edit. Working with someone else's project makes things difficult enough. I also come from a Framemaker/Webworks environment so am used to something else. I admit I can use some training but that is not something the organization I work for believes in or is willing to fund.

Anyhow, to follow up with my thread, I tried breaking up the project in two. NEITHER half worked. There are too many topics to go one by one. Therefore, to make my deadline, I started over from scratch. It did work this time.

Much of my frustrations are with the vague error messages. Seems like this particular one can be attributed to so many things.

Is anyone familiar with the RoboHelp 9 Goober Guide? Is the Rick who is Captiv8r also Rick Stone? Are there online training options anyone can recommend?

Thanks to all.

Diana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2011 Jan 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane

Indeed I am known by many names. Rick, Rick Stone, Magus, Captiv8r, RoboWizard and I do own and operate the GooberGuides site as well as the ShowMe Solutions site.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2011 Jan 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diana.

Not only is he one and the same but I can highly recommend his training, books and overall RoboHelp (and Captivate) knowledge.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...but he still can't hit a curve ball!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt whether we are talking the same sport but is that the same as a googly in these here parts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, is a Googly the same as a Wobbly?

I suppose we might combine them and call it a Woogly! (Bazinga!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trust me, if ever there was a sport in need of having their rule book rewritten by a Technical Writer, Cricket is it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rules of cricket are simple.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he  comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats  been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out,  and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they  decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides  have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who  are not out, that is the end of the game!

Simple!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, I think Peter just described the American Political System!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

Diana mentioned downloading your GooberGuide to help enhance her knowledge of RH. Can you send me a link or other info indicating where I can get this?

Cheers, Elizabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure!

Click here (or from the links that are typically at the bottom of all my posts)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the simple steps for Cricket here in the US.

1. Hear annoying chirp chirp chirp.
  2. Mute TV to discern where it's coming from.
  3. Get up off couch and approach general area.
  4. Chirping frequency diminishes and all goes quiet as you approach Cricket location.
  5. Walk back to couch and un-mute TV.
  6. Chirping resumes.
  7. Repeat from step 1.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diana:

I am in a similar situation to you. I took over a two year old documentation behemoth that serves 5 different product lines with varying degrees of interlapping between lines. Therefore, the single source layout option using different build tags and TOC's seems like it should work great for this scenario. However, I think my problem comes from the fact that the project was developed in RH 6 by someone who really didn't know the software. (but thought he did)( Unfortunately, like you, I have this huge opus (over 700 topics) that I am trying to maintain and improve as new releases of the software come out. I

I am curious, when you say you started from scratch, do you mean you just copied and pasted text and graphics to a new help project, redo jumps and index words, etc., or did you use an import function in RH itself. Either way I am sorely tempted to do just what you did and have it be my own without the past baggage.

Cheers, Elizabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp