Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adjustment layer in Premiere?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2011 Jan 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I remember seeing a video where a Transparent/ black video/etc..was added to the above layer of all clips.

It would act as an adjustment layer.

I know I could Nest them, but that would mean I would loose the ability to move clips around unless I double click them.

I remember there was a way to add an adjustment layer in premiere.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

lou

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lou,

Some Effects will work on Transparent Video, on a higher Video Track. The Transparent Video is created from the New Icon>Transparent Video, just like Black Video. The effectiveness of its use will depend on the Effect that you desire to use.

Good luck, and let us know which Effect you wish to apply.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You know, I tried that (transparent video), and of course the first effect I needed didn't work.

I wanted to raise the blacks a little, so i tried RGB curve.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is pretty obvious. How would you like to raise blacks on a transparent video? Transparent video is great for effects like timecode, but not for correcting color or whatever you want to do, since it contains no color (hence the word transparent) to adjust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would you like to raise blacks on a transparent video?

Then how would explain Adjustment Layers in AE and PS? Those are both transparent layers to which you can apply effects and change the values of pixels in layers below.

OP: the fact is that there simply isn't a feature like Adjustment Layers in Premiere right now. Certain effects work on transparent video or black video with a proper blending mode applied, but not like you're seeking. A good feature request, though: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then how would explain Adjustment Layers in AE and PS?

Well, yes and no. Adjustment Layers are a very specific type of Layer in PS. They work far differently, than do other, traditional Layers. As the matter of fact, it took Adobe many years to come up with them. Layers were first introduced in version 3, IRRC, but Adjustment Layers were introduced in CS (version 7 at the earliest).

Also, remember that Transparent Video is not a Layer, as in PS.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Layers were first introduced in version 3...

Actually, layers were first introduced in After Effects 1.0. I'm sure that the Photoshop team has had a few good ideas of their own at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Then how would explain Adjustment Layers in AE and PS? Those are both transparent layers to which you can apply effects and change the values of pixels in layers below.

FWIW, the way that an adjustment layer works in After Effects is that it takes the composited/rendered result of the layers beneath it as input and then operates on that single input just as if it were any other layer. A lot of people misunderstand, thinking that the adjustment layer is somehow reaching down into those underlying layers and affecting each of them individually. In fact, the way that most people explain adjustment layers is to say that "applying an effect to an adjustment layer applies the effect to all of the layers beneath the adjustment layer". As you can tell from my explanation of how they actually work, this isn't quite right. Also, you can see how applying an effect to a nested sequence is doing almost exactly the same thing as applying an effect to an adjustment layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd,

Quick question, though possibly getting a tad OT, though we are talking about Adjustment Layers here. When preparing a PSD for use in PrPro, I always apply my Adjustment Layers, prior to doing the Save_As for use in PrPro. Can PrPro CS5 handle Adjustment Layers, if just included in the PSD, or is application of them still the best method.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, we must chalk one up for the AfterEffects team!!!

Glad that Chris Cox and the PS folk were able to "steal" them from AE, as their inclusion was one of the ultimate features (and they still are) in PS. Adjustment Layers are another, along with Layer Masks.

Better keep the door to the AE R&D department locked, as there's no telling what the PS folk will pilfer next.

Thanks for that useful bit of history,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin took the words right out of my mouth.

Like I said, I was looking for a "adjustment-like layer" in premiere.

Oh well, I guess i'm NESTING

Thanks Colin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill - it depends on which mode you use to import the PSD. For example, if you select merge all layers during import then the adjustment layers in the document will render with the PSD, but if imported as individual layers they will not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was what I thought, and greatly appreciate the clarification.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just:

1. make your adjustments to your clip

2. save those adjustments you just made as an effect and name it whatever you want.. like save it as 'My Curves - Project Name'

Then you can apply it to your whole sequence in one click or selected clips or even keep and use in another project down the road.

see here for saving an effect (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS5B38CF0A-C465-437d-9D19-41C35ECD6200.html)

*keep in mind any keyframes you have, like if you are ramping the effect up/down, those keyframes get saved in the new custom effect that you plan to save!!! But in your case, it doesn't look like you are keyframing any of the effects..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wanted to let you know that I HAVE applied color correction, via the fast color corrector, Red Giant Mojo, Red Giant Looks and Colorista to an adjustment layer, and they ALL worked beautifully for me!  In fact, it was the fastest "look" session, I've ever had... I started with Fast... then moved through the rest to find the "best" look for the project... settled on Magic Bullet Looks plugin... fantastic stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines