Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 List Styles - benefit of?

Sep 03, 2010 Sep 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RH8 list styles are separate from paragraph styles.  Can anyone tell me why I would use a list style for a bullet or numbered list, rather than using a paragraph style - and applying the bullet or number with the toolbar button?

It seems that the paragraph style/button method produces a more stable result in Print Documentation however I would like to know if I'm losing out on something by not using 'list style'.?

thank you for any light you can provide.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're "losing out" on those ugly bruises from repeated slamming into a stone wall.

In other words, keep doing what you're doing.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon

Are you thinking of ordinary list or multi level lists?

Mpali

For ordinary lists I suggest taking a look at Snippet 129 on my site. RH8 generates XHTML output and you will likely have problems if you apply the bullet definition within a paragraph style.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I am talking about simple bullet or procedure steps. The paragraph style does not have the bullet within it, I apply the bullet or number using the toolbar buttons.

Seems to be working okay in the help system and like I said, the Print output is easier to modify.

I just want to avoid the "should-a/could-a/would-a" mantra

Marie P Affa

Manager - Technical Publications

Netsmart Technologies

(631) 968-2037

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the laugh of the day. So funny but so true..

I wish my organization would give up on the printed copy manual. Life would be easier for sure.

Marie P Affa

Manager - Technical Publications

Netsmart Technologies

(631) 968-2037

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes using a paragraph style that does not have any bullet definitions in it plus the bullet/number icons is fine.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2011 Jan 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One reason for using the list styles is to build a custom bullet such as where a specific image precedes the bullet so I can follow corporate standards.

You can also control the spacing between bullets, i.e., maybe all paragraphs are separated by double-space, but you can set your bullets to be single-space. You could even change the font style.

To keep the custom bullets I have made via list styles in my print output, I make sure to use the "project CSS" during the generate process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp