• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import WMV file (wmv2 standard codec)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2010 Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the help files say that Windows Media WMV files can be imported into Premiere Pro CS5, but I have a very standard WMV file using WMV2/WMA2 internal codecs and it will not import into Premiere Pro CS5.  I spent a lot of money on my Adobe products and an expensive program like this should be able to do what it says it can do.  I'm on a Mac but nowhere in the help files does it say that WMV is only supported on a Windows PC.  Also if you respond saying that WMV is a "delivery format" that will not be helpful- Adobe claims to support it for import, regardless.

How can I fix my issue with Windows Media WMV important in my FULL, NON-trial, fully paid, full legal, expensive version of Premiere Pro CS5.  Please feel free to email me via xxx because I have no idea how I'll find this post after I post it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The internal codecs are causing the problem. You need to have something like this:

WMV Gspot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

facing the same issue from the past two weeks & no solution given by Adobe support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The solution is to transcode the file to an edit friendly codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> All the help files say that Windows Media WMV files can be imported into Premiere Pro CS5, but I have a very standard WMV file using WMV2/WMA2 internal codecs and it will not import into Premiere Pro CS5.  I spent a lot of money on my Adobe products and an expensive program like this should be able to do what it says it can do.  I'm on a Mac but nowhere in the help files does it say that WMV is only supported on a Windows PC. 

Here's what it says in "File  formats supported for import" in Premiere Pro CS5 Help, mentionining Windows-only support:

Supported video and animation file formats

• WMV (Windows Media Video, Windows only)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely unacceptable, seeing as APP CS5 is available for both platforms.  The Mac version needs to support the WMV format; people spend entirely too much money on these software suites for compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Completely unacceptable, seeing as APP CS5 is available for both platforms.  The Mac version needs to support the WMV format; people spend entirely too much money on these software suites for compatibility.

You can submit a feature request here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also meet this kind of problem. I can't paly the wmv formation video in aem 6.4? Can U help me with this.Much thinks

I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also meet this kind of problem. I can't paly the wmv formation video in aem 6.4,The video upload in dam . Can U help me with this.Much thinks

I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps before spending the money, one should read the supported file formats, and look to see which platforms that support is for?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, that's a fairly arrogant condescending answer, considering that I only do my video and design work on the Mac.  I had to buy the whole Master Collection for the Mac in order to get upgrade pricing.  Are you suggesting that I pay something like $1500 extra dollars and also buy a new PC, just because Adobe fails to provide basic WMV support, when FREE apps for the Mac can play and convert WMV files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally suggest not using a Mac.  People doing so is what causes incompatibility issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was not meant to be anything but useful for future purchases.

One should research software, to make sure that it fits their needs, rather than purchase it, and complain that it does not work, as one would have hoped it to.

On the other side of the street, there are Mac-only CODEC's, that will not install on the PC. That is something that PC users have been fighting for a fairly long time. It is not Adobe's fault, but a dissimilarity between the platforms. Though they do seem to be getting closer together, there are still some differences between them. When an editor hits those differences, the trick is to find a way around them. Sometimes, for the PC user, it means having a Mac-user Export in a different format. The same holds for the Mac-user. There are many shops that have both platforms, so these types of problems are solved internally.

Adobe was aware of these potential problems, and made note of them. This is where it is highly incumbent on the purchaser to inform themselves, and become aware of platform differences. Adobe makes note of the formats/CODEC's that are "Mac only," as well.

Todd's suggestion to file a Feature Request is a good one, however, I think the "solution" will be for MS and Apple to get together and work out a way for each platforms' CODEC's to install and be useful on the other. I do not anticipate that Adobe can rewrite all the MS CODEC's for the Mac, and vice versa, but perhaps I am incorrect, and they are doing just that.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other consideration can be the WMA Audio, as it can be multi-channel.

Still, with the proper CODEC's installed (do not know if they exist for the Mac), even multi-channel WMA should work fine, as PrPro will usually create Audio Tracks, as they might be needed. If you do have multi-channel WMA, you should get a 5.1 Audio Track created, if none exist in your Sequence.

As a complete aside, I find WMV source material problematic, even on my PC with all necessary CODEC's. In my case, I always convert those files, prior to Import, even though they are supported - just not good media to work with, and very slow to edit, as the program does the internal conversion.

Good luck, and please update the thread, concerning the necessary M$ CODEC's on the Mac. That is what I see as a potential problem area, and just do not know the ultimate answer.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since WMV is apparently not supported on the Macintosh, I suggest getting the excellent, free, open sourced program "Handbrake" which converts just about any video format out there. True, you loose a bit in the conversion, but at least you can get work done.

http://handbrake.fr/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

I also recommend conversion of WMV material, even if PrPro can Import it. Life will be much easier. Good to know that Handbrake is a good conversion program for the Mac.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I can be of some help here. I am running on Mac and have Adobe Premiere Elements 9 (I had 11 on my laptop but when I went to switch computers I lost that free upgrade to 11 :c  ). If you have VLC I found a way you can convert the video for it to work. I tried right clicking the file and click on "Encode Selected file" but that didn't work, then I saw in VLC when playing the video, then pause it, go to File, then to convert/stream. There you should be able to convert the file and save it and let it render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Premiere Pro cannot support WMV format o n Mac. As a complete aside, I find WMV source material problematic, even on my PC with all necessary codes, even though they are supported - just not good media to work with, and very slow to edit. To use WMV video in Adobe Premiere Pro smoothly, a good suggestion is to change WMV to Premiere Pro more compatible MPEG-2 file type with a powerful third party problem for maintaining whole audio&video information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem with the newest version of Adobe Encoder CC. Is there a current thinking about this question? I definitely need a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try transcoding the file with Handbrake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines