• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Flash Builder a viable development tool for browser-based, software simulators used for training?

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2011 Jan 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used other development tools in the past to create browser-based, software simulators.  I have always loved the way Flash has strong graphical capabilities and runs on a wide range of platforms.  Also, correctly designed, Flash is extremely bandwith friendly.  The software simulations must run full screen, kiosk mode. 

I have looked for examples of others using Flex/Flash builder for this task and have not found anything impressive.  This leads me think that this tool may not be well suited for the task.  Someone please show me examples that prove this idea incorrect.

John Chapman

jchapman@onlinecbt.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Captivate is probably what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have captivate and used it.  It is not up to the task of a highly realistic simulations.  By trying to appeal to a mass market they have made performance and realism compromises.  Is there noone who has tried to harness Flash or Flash Builder to create software simulations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you elaborate your use-case a bit more?

Also, have you tried taking a look at http://flex.org/showcase and http://flex.org/showcase-all ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simulation environments that I have created in the past look and perform almost identically to the actual application.  The purpose is for training, and realism is of great importance.  During the simulation the browser must switch to kiosk mode (full screen with no border, no menu, and no caption bar).  Full screen images from the actual application are used. 

Menus with working submenus must work and perform realistically.  That includes enables and disabled options set programmatically, and functioning popup menus.  At any given point in a simulation the software must be able to detect the point where the mouse clicks and/or text that is typed into a field(s).

Error handling must support (1) text prompts, (2) text and graphics, and (3) text, graphics and animation.  Optionally, data displayed for any given screen should be dynamically definable.

I appreciate the links you provided and will check them out. 

My limited experience with Flash tells me it can do the job.  I have been told by others that Flash Builder is the smarter way to accomplish complex tasks like I defined above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe all Flash based applications running in full-screen mode do not allow text input.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/full_screen_mode.html

"Users cannot enter text in text input fields while in full-screen mode. All keyboard input and key-related ActionScript is disabled while in full-screen mode, with the exception of the keyboard shortcuts that take the viewer out of full-screen mode."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!  That is a deal killer for my purposes.  If Flash does not support text entry in full screen (kiosk) mode then a realistic simulator in Flash is not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received an email from a friend who stated that there may be a way around the problem of not being able to edit text in full-screen, kiosk mode.  He stated, “It seems like you could maximize the Flash application rather than going into full-screen mode”.  Does anyone have any experience with this approach?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I guess you could maximize a browser (F11 in chrome), looks pretty good.

Or have a borderless AIR application that is maximized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 1st option might work, especially if in code the user’s browser can be maximized when the simulation begins and in code the browser can be returned to the default state when the simulation concludes.  Is that doable?

The 2nd option “borderless AIR application that is maximized” is something I not familiar with.  Can anyone send me a link to an example of this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure of the Adobe Catalyst product would help, but in my mind it is for building rich UIs more quickly and also for building prototype UIs.  I think Adobe has some (video?) tutorials on it as well -- note my Catalyst knowledge is quite shallow, just wanted to include it in the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines