Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing: Search Tab

May 07, 2009 May 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to output a project into a CHM file using RoboHelp 8, and the resulting output completely lacks a Search tab. It's got a Contents tab, an Index tab, and that's it. (The project doesn't have a glossary, so the lack of glossary is no big surprise.) I searched through the forums, and the closest problems I saw were from people whose search tabs "didn't work." However, the fix in that situation (re-registering some DLL files), didn't work for me. I'm hoping someone out there has some insight into how to find a missing search tab. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , May 07, 2009 May 07, 2009

Hi there

Try this. In RoboHelp, click View > Pods > Project Set-up.

Expand the Windows pseudo-folder.

Do you see an icon that looks like this?

tmp1.png

If you see that icon (the one with no globe inside) double-click it. If you don't see it, first ensure your Primary Layout type is Microsoft HTML Help. Then click the icon to create a new window.

tmp2.png

Either way, you should see the Window Properties dialog. You need to ensure the Search Tab is enabled.

tmp3.png

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Try this. In RoboHelp, click View > Pods > Project Set-up.

Expand the Windows pseudo-folder.

Do you see an icon that looks like this?

tmp1.png

If you see that icon (the one with no globe inside) double-click it. If you don't see it, first ensure your Primary Layout type is Microsoft HTML Help. Then click the icon to create a new window.

tmp2.png

Either way, you should see the Window Properties dialog. You need to ensure the Search Tab is enabled.

tmp3.png

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2009 May 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

So I have a similar, but not so similar problem. I''ve merged two help projects (Child1.chm and Child2.chm). The .chm output looks great (TOC and CSH are fine), except, I'm not getting an Index. I've selected the TOC & Index option in the Windows Properties for the Parent project. By the way, I'm bringing in FrameMaker by reference. So that may be part of the equation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2009 May 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shawn

Sorry, but I'm unfamiliar with Frame at this stage of the game. I think the placeholders come into play here. So you may need to experiment with inserting those.

When you create output from RoboHelp, you are able to choose the specific Index you wish to include in the output. Have you ensured you have done this? Additionally, I do believe that for a merged CHM setup a couple of things have to be in place for the index to show.

• The master project has to have at lest one keyword defined and mapped to a topic
  • The index must be configured as Binary

To add a keyword to the master you will need to display the Index Designer pod. Unfortunately it's not straightforward. You do it by expanding the Index pseudo-folder in the Project Manager pod. Then double-click the index listed.

tmp1.png

Now you add a term to the index.

tmp2.png

From here you ensure Binary is enabled. Click File > Project Settings...

tmp3.png

Then when you generate output, ensure you are pointing at the right index.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this solution didn't work for me. I can't get the Search tab to appear in the CHM. It IS selected in the window. I even created a new window, selected it as the default window, AND specified it in the SSL -- still no Search tab in the output. Weird! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eileen

Have you tried defining a totally new Single Source Layout? Just right-click in the pod and define a new one.

I seem to recall that doing this fixes some things. Maybe this is one of them.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

That was a very promising suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

In the meantime, I have even recreated the entire project (it was a small project) and imported all the original topics, again created a new window, etc. -- all in vain.

Any more suggestions??

Regards,

Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Frapdoodle!

This is admittedly grasping at straws, but perhaps worth a shot.

Click here to read an article

Try what is outlined there and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above didn't help me, but eventually I did manage to get it working. I did several things at once, and I'm not sure which detail fixed it, but here's what I did:

• Changed the name of the default help topic so that the definitions in the [WINDOWS] section of the HHP file fit on one line.
  • Deleted the project's HHP file and let RH recreate it.
  • Compared the HHP file with the HHP file of another project where the Search tab showed up correctly in the compiled help; made some minor adjustments.
  • Compared the project's rhwnd.apj file with the same file in another project where the Search tab showed up; made some adjustments.

I think what happened was that somehow or other the window definition included a Glossary tab and Browse sequence button, when neither a glossary nor browse sequences were included in the RH project. That might be a good clue for the next person who has this problem.

Thank you for trying to assist me, Rick!

/Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2011 Apr 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thank you Eileen.

I hit the same problem so based on your hint, I just cleared the check boxes for Browse Sequence and Glossary and all was well.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eileen,

I was facing a similar problem and after twisting my brain cells for a day, I finally found the solution. I am putting it on the forum, so others can also try this out.

Goto File-->Project Settings. In the 'General' tab of the new window, select the 'Binary Index' check box under the 'Index' section. Re-compile and the 'Search' tab is there !!

Hope this helps.

Gargi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have RoboHelp 10 and tried everything listed above without success. Finally I swiched from "add new keywords to - index file (HHK)" to  "add new keywords to - topics" as shown in the image below. The search tab now appears in the .chm file.

RoboHelp-V10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2014 Feb 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... That blows me away that you found this to work. I say that because whether an Index is Binary or not should have zero bearing on the Search tab. But stranger things have happened. That's for sure!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gargi,

Thank you very much for your exact solution on Search tab. Now I got the Search tab in my CHM files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks GargiK. I've had a missing Search tab for months on a project. Couldn't figure out why. This helped me figure it out! Kudos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp