• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Error: Can't Import File "xxx.ffx": Unsupported Filetype or extension

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the following error message when I try and apply an effect to a layer in my composition:

After Effects Error: Can't Import File "xxx.ffx": Unsupported Filetype or extension

I am using AE CS4, my bridge is CS5.

And yes i have a layer selected. And no i can't right click on an effect in bridge and "Put" it anywhere. That option doesn't exist.  It happens on every one of my ffx files in Bridge.    Within Bridge if i go Preference>Startup Scripts, Adobe After Effects is not listed.  does it need to be listed (and then checked?)? If so, how do i do this?

I'm sure this issue exists elsewhere in these forms but the search function wasn't working just now.  Got some .asp error or something. So my apologies.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Uninstalled. Reinstalled.   All better now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're trying to import the file, rather than apply it. 

Make sure you launch Adobe Bridge from within After Effects, rather than independently.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSA677A9D5-8225-4890-B782-BC642B4DF37Fa.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2011 Feb 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're trying to import the file, rather than apply it. 

Make sure you launch Adobe Bridge from within After Effects, rather than independently.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSA677A9D5-8225-4890 -B782-BC642B4DF37Fa.html

I'm launching bridge from Animation>Browse Presets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Thank YOU so very much. That worked for me! I may not have figured this out (or would have taken me hours) had you not commented. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, an important piece of terminology:

An .ffx file is an animation preset, not an effect. Effect plug-ins have file-name extensions .aex (and others). See these pages for overview of effect and animation presets:

animation presets

effects

There are a lot of ways to apply animation presets. Using Bridge is only one of them. I never use Bridge to apply animation presets. If it's not working through Bridge, then try one of the other methods. I always use the Effects & Presets panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, had a brain typo there.  Animation Preset.  I can see them in bridge, but I can't see them in AE.  Under Effect>Text the folder is empty.  Within Bridge i have a whole bunch of ffx files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Under Effect>Text the folder is empty.

These are not effects. They won't be in the Text effects category. In the Effects & Presets panel, look in the Animation Presets category.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are not effects. They won't be in the Text effects category. In the Effects & Presets panel, look in the Animation Presets category.

Nothing there......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalled. Reinstalled.   All better now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ur a genius

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue - and managed to work around this by selecting the text layer, and clicking Animation > Apply Animation Preset.. > then selecting one of the .ffx files.

You can see the presets before hand in bridge to check which preset you want to apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be marked as the correct answer. This issue persists even in 2023 in the latest version of Bridge and After Effects. None of the above-mentioned solutions worked. But this solution worked. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such a shame. You would expect these simple things to be working in the 2023 version, but nope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem then realized that I was using Bridge CS6 with AE CC ... So I installed CC Bridge, without uninstalling Brigde CS6 because it is inseparable from PS CS6, it can not be separated separately. This worked to add text animation presets by Bridge to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In bridge I right clicked the preset and selected Place In Adobe After Effects CC2018 as I was getting the same error when double clicking the preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

as of 2023, i can successful apply preset with your method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEllo i have the same problem only that i want to upload an video for my audio and intro .Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines