Expand my Community achievements bar.

Auto Numbering

Level 2

I've used  the following to add row numbers .

= this.parent.index +1;

I would like users to have the ability to change the number sequence - - user inserts 004 and  005 as next row is auto generated.   The row numbers should not reset each time the form isopened.   Is there a way to accomplish this?  If so,  how?  

12 Replies

Former Community Member

1. Just add the this.parent.index to the base number that the user enters.

2. On the File/Form Properties/Defaults tab make sure that you have "Preserve Scripting Changes to Form when Saved" set to Automatically.

Paul

Level 2

1. The parent is set to one. However, I want the user to be able to change that number to a number of choice - example 5. Then when they click the add a row button, the following number becomes 6. Currently, if they change the number and click add a row the numbers go back to the original sequence. Example. User enters 5 and add a row, number 2 shows as the row number. I'm not sure row numbering is the best way to do this. I just want sequential numbers in a field.

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 06:02:08 -0600

To: theolar@hotmail.com

Subject: Auto Numbering

1. Just add the this.parent.index to the base number that the user enters.

2. On the File/Form Properties/Defaults tab make sure that you have "Preserve Scripting Changes to Form when Saved" set to Automatically.

Paul

>

Former Community Member

When they add a row wouldn't it be six that they shoudl see. Without seeing teh form it is difficult to say but my guess is that you are using the index of the subform to make the number up. You simply have to add in the constant that the user has imtroduced. Have a hidden field that will hold the value of the 1st row (in your example 5). Then simply add that number to the calculation that is being used now.

Paul

Level 2

See attached, the form.

Again, after Add Row is clicked new row displays with field named 2. My goal is if user changes the row number

Example: Row 1001

Row 1002

Then user changes 1002 to

Row 1048

I want the next row number to be

Row 1049.

Currently I can the row number but when I click Add Row the numbering goes back to the original order.

It does not specifically need to be row numbers but I want sequential numbers to appear in a cell of my table. I also want the user to be able to change the number but still have the sequential numbering based on the input number. Again, user enters 1048, next number 1049 instead reverting back to 1001, 1002.

Thanks much.

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:09:39 -0600

When they add a row wouldn't it be six that they shoudl see. Without seeing teh form it is difficult to say but my guess is that you are using the index of the subform to make the number up. You simply have to add in the constant that the user has imtroduced. Have a hidden field that will hold the value of the 1st row (in your example 5). Then simply add that number to the calculation that is being used now.

Paul

>

Former Community Member

The form is not attached .....if you send it to LiveCycle8@gmail.com I will ahve a look and see if I can get it to work the way you want. Please include a description of the issue in the email.

Paul

Level 2

The form described above has been working perfectly.  However,  I just discovered that the header does not appear after page 2.  Add Row no longer works after page 3.   Can anyone tell me how to make the header and rows continue indefinitely?  I'll send a copy if you e-mail me.

Thanks much.

Level 2

Hello,

I didn't see a response or answer in my e-mail. Would you please resend?

Thanks

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 15:50:41 -0700

Check your email.

>

Level 6

OK, got your form.

The Add Row button stops working because you have the Max Count for Row set to 75.  It just happens to hit 75 rows at the bottom of page 3.  To allow the row to be added indefinitely, just uncheck the Max: checkbox on the binding tab for Row.

The header does not repeat on each page because you have it included as part of the first page's content.  In order to have it repeat on each page you need to put the header information (which appears to be all of Subform1) on the Master page, just like you did with the footer.  You will also need to adjust the top of the content area (the red dashed line on the master page) to start below the header information, so that the rows on each page will start below the header and not overlay it.

While you're at it, you might want to move up the bottom of the content area on the master page so that it sits above the footer.  Currently the bottom row overlays part of the footer on each page.

Regards,

Kevin

Level 2

Hi Kevin,

Thanks so much for your help. The Max Count issue was resolved with no problem. I still have a problem with the header. I moved the Subform to the Master Page as you suggested. Still the header only appear in pages 1 and 2. As in the Max Count issue its probably something really small that I've overlooked.

Again, Thanks for your help!!

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 19:20:56 -0700

OK, got your form.

The Add Row button stops working because you have the Max Count for Row set to 75. It just happens to hit 75 rows at the bottom of page 3. To allow the row to be added indefinitely, just uncheck the Max: checkbox on the binding tab for Row.

The header does not repeat on each page because you have it included as part of the first page's content. In order to have it repeat on each page you need to put the header information (which appears to be all of Subform1) on the Master page, just like you did with the footer. You will also need to adjust the top of the content area (the red dashed line on the master page) to start below the header information, so that the rows on each page will start below the header and not overlay it.

While you're at it, you might want to move up the bottom of the content area on the master page so that it sits above the footer. Currently the bottom row overlays part of the footer on each page.

Regards,

Kevin

>

Level 2

Hi, Again,

I think I've found the answer. In the header row I turned on "Repeat Row for each Data Item". When tested it works.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 19:20:56 -0700

OK, got your form.

The Add Row button stops working because you have the Max Count for Row set to 75. It just happens to hit 75 rows at the bottom of page 3. To allow the row to be added indefinitely, just uncheck the Max: checkbox on the binding tab for Row.

The header does not repeat on each page because you have it included as part of the first page's content. In order to have it repeat on each page you need to put the header information (which appears to be all of Subform1) on the Master page, just like you did with the footer. You will also need to adjust the top of the content area (the red dashed line on the master page) to start below the header information, so that the rows on each page will start below the header and not overlay it.

While you're at it, you might want to move up the bottom of the content area on the master page so that it sits above the footer. Currently the bottom row overlays part of the footer on each page.

Regards,

Kevin

>

Level 6

Ah, sorry,  I think I gave you incorrect info.  I thought that you meant the header at the top of the page, not the header on the table.  Anyway, glad it's working.