• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Open Project with RoboHelp 9

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on a project using RoboHelp 9. Last night when I attempted to save RoboHelp froze. Looking at the CPU usage in task manager I saw it was still hovering between 45 and 50% CPU usage. Seeing as it was the end of the day anyway, I decided to leave the program running overnight in the hopes that it would eventually unfreeze.

When I came in this morning it was in the same frozen state, still using between 45 and 50% of the CPU. So I used end task to stop the program from running and tried to re-open the project. The project tried to open but froze during loading.

After consulting the forums I made a back-up of my project directory and deleted the CPD file. The project hung again on open (though it created a new CPD file was slightly smaller than the original CPD file).

I restored from backup and tried to open from the XPJ file but had no luck.

Restoring from backup again, I deleted the CPD and XPJ files and tried to open the HHP file with similar results.

Other projects are working fine so I created a new project and attempted to import the HTML file (a file which opens fine in Firefox) and it also causes the project to hang.

A bit of additional info:

I'm running the project on a local drive on Windows 7 32 bit edition.

Does anyone have any ideas for next steps I should try? I really don't want to have to restart the project from scratch.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You came in and tried more things. Did you reboot the machine?

Try that and also see if Opening Projects on my site helps.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also try working on the sample projects to see if you have issues there.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I have rebooted my system to no effect. I also am able to work on sample projects (adding and removing content, modifying topics, saving, generating output, etc) without any issue.

I tried the items you talked about on your Opening Projects page that I hadn't already tried. I even tried deleting the HHP file and using the HHP file to generate a new one in the hopes I might luck out but it also hung. It did create a new XPJ file that would open but all the content was missing (I could see the table of contents but the links were all x'd out because the page they were pointing to wasn't being loaded).

One thing I have noticed is that most (though not all) of the times I try to load the project and it hangs it hangs out "Loading topic files" (other times it hangs without any text indicating what it is doing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Err, how do you delete the HHP file and then use it to open the project?

Where is the project on your local drive?

I am fearing your various deletions may mean you have to build a new project. Do you have a backup?

Post back on Monday where you have got to and we'll take it from there.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, I meant to say I used the HHP file builder to rebuild the HHP file after deleting it.

The project is in the default location (Documents -> My RoboHelp Projects).

Before I started playing with all the file deletions and changes I made a back-up (which I restored from each attempt).

The project was fairly small so I ended up just opening the HTML file in Firefox and then copying and pasting that into a new RoboHelp project so I could resume working (My first phase of the project must be complete by end of day Monday so at this point I figured it was easier to just re-do the topics, TOC and the like).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp