• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help troubleshooting Index creation..

Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using RH8, Webhelp, working locally.

I've tried several times to create an index, but each time it crashes.

The first few times, I manually accepted the index keywords.....I'd spend about 25 minutes or so working on it, then RH would freeze on random files (different each time), causing me to reboot RH.  I've lost the entire index because it never completed.

Now, I thought I would test it by just automatically adding the index keywords.......and after about 3-4 minutes of it working through the files, it froze. I can't even minimize the RH window, I have to reboot again.

I've created an index for a previous project with no errors......but this is not the case with this project.

Does anyone have any advice on what could be wrong?  Anything errors I can eliminate? files to test? review? anything?  I don't even know where to begin to troubleshoot this problem.......

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2011 Jan 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I'd never used the automatic index wizard as it is woefully inadequate. Try deleting the project's CPD file. If that doesn't work, see if anyone else with RoboHelp has the same issue with this project? If they do, or you can't check, are there any special characters in the index keywords?

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 27, 2011 Jan 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree.. the create index words automatically is terrible.  I was just trying ANYTHING to get an index created. 

I've removed the .cpd file...and also set my Options to automatically delete and create.  Unfortunately, this didn't work and my index creation continues to fail.  I can't even create an index on ONE folder.  After I select a word to add to the index and hit "Next" it just hangs.........even when there's no other file to be index.

No problems on adding an individual word to the index by selecting the "key" icon from the index toolbar.

I'm the lone writer, there's no one else who can try to create the index.  So far, I haven't seen any special characters in the index keywords. In fact, the one folder I tested (above) contained nothing but alpha characters....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2011 Feb 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JGaf,

Did you tried to create Index on a different project (new project)

Please let me know on which Operating System you are working (Windows or MAC)

Need to know the configuration (RAM or is it a 64bit or 32 bit)

Thanks

Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2011 Feb 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI,

Just following up....

1 - Yes, I have successfully created an index on a completely different project.

2 - Windows xp, 32.

I need to revisit this issue in a couple of months, I have other things to tend to.  I'll post back my "next attempts" on creating an index.

but, if there's someone out there with an answer, by all means.........please share!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp