• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with printing with Acrobat Reader X

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, we recently upgraded to Acrobat Reader X on our Terminal Servers and we are having a print issue.  When a PDF is being printed, on any printer, the same fonts are not printing like how the pdf is being displayed on the screen.  This is only happening to some of our users and for others the PDF is printing correctly.  Has anyone experienced this issue?  Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?  Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to tell, cause the failure description is not very clear.

What font is used in the PDF?

And could it be, that the Reader uses alternatives to display the PDF cause the font were not embedded and is missing on that affected computer?!

Also, are the Reader setting for the Page Display under "Edit > Preferences" set that they match the used hardware (monitor)?

Some settings (i.e. Smooth line art, Enhance thin lines) make the font's to look bolder on the screen than on the printouts.

A general solution if problems with fonts occur is to activate the option "print as image" under "File > Print > Advanced".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats weird is it works on either all of the machines for some of the users or none of the machines.  The font on the PDF is strictly Times New Roman.  I don't understand what is happening with the documents but the everything worked correctly with Acrobat 9 Reader.  Has Adobe changed any of the settings for a user?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the user with which you see the problem have some sort of restricted permissions, like a Guest user or a non-admin user? Which type of printer are you observing the problem with and on which OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2011 Jan 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please share the make of the printer on which you are seeing the issue so that we can verify the same at our end?

Meanwhile, you may use "Print as Image" option under the advanced button on print dialog.

Thanks,

Atul Agarwal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2011 Jan 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to print to a hp plotter and that won't work

I can't print to anything but a 8 1/2 x 11 hp printer

anytime i change the paper size it will not go to the printer

tryed printing as and image that dont work either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Acroblabchi

Did you solve the problem yet? We encounter the same problem, with terminal servers (Windows 2003). On screen the PDF looks fine, but when we print it, the font is changed. De characters are closer together on the print, looks very bad. Very strange.

Hope to hear from you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I did get an email from an Adobe representitive and he is working on the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PowlesNL,

We have not had a solution to the problem yet.  The workaround has been to select print as an image from the options.  Have you also tried running Acrobat Reader once has administrator?  Please let me know if any of this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried printing to and image and i am always the administrator on this computer and my network

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello craigsat,

You are offtopic. Your problem is not the same as topic starter. You have to make your own topic. Sorry for my reply on your post, my mistake.

Acroblabchi,

Quick responce! I just tested running as admin, but that gives the same result, bad print format. We updated from version 8 to X last week. Print as Image gives a good result, and is good as a workaround, but not a permanent solution.

Gr. Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2011 Jan 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have tried printing from Windows server 2003 Terminal Services environment itself but everything is working as expected. Infact, we tried the same with multiple machines but again the same result.

It looks to me some kind of set up issue at your end than the problem of reader.

Kindly try with the suggested work around of "Print as Image" until we narrow down where the problem lies.

Thanks,

Atul Agarwal

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2011 Jan 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I, too, have two colleagues with Reader X who are having similar print problems. Unistalling and reinstalling Reader X did not fix the problem. Additionally, the suggested workaround (Print > Advanced > Print as Image) is not working for us.

As a test, I downloaded the free PDF reader Ghostscript and was able to print PDFs with the correct characters. So the problem is isolated to Adobe Reader and it's configuration on the computers.

Specs: Windows 7, 32-bit.

Please let me know if I can help supply you with more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also experience this font issue on my personal computer (Windows XP). It began when I updated recently Adobe reader 9 to Adobe reader X. When I print as an image it is fine. When I print from Foxit reader it is also ok. I also can give more information about my computer configuration if needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we are not able to reproduce the issue in-house, we request you to try out the following:

Please try disabling Protected Mode of Reader and see if the issue goes away. You can achieve this by launching reader and then go to Edit-->Preferences. Under the 'general' category pane, uncheck the checkbox "Enable Protected mode at startup" and press ok. Now, close reader application (do not forget this step otherwise change won't affect). Now re-launch reader and try printing to see if it resolves the issue.

Hopefully that helps you. please note that it is not suggested to run reader with protected mode OFF. kindly switch to protected mode ON once you have tried the above.

Thanks,

Atul Agarwal

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2011 Jan 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Atul,

Thanks for your reply. I switched Protected Mode on one of the two computers, following your instructions, but on restarting Reader X, we still got the identical, garbled output.

I'll add the following information in as well, in case you have any ideas - no worries if you don't: Both of these computers have been under some font-related stress from at least one other application. Both of my colleagues use Mozilla Firefox as their browser, and on installation, their fonts defaulted to bold and/or italics. My colleague applied a fix to both computers to remove this default. Could this have a connection to a change in font when printing in Adobe Reader, even if Ghostscript doesn't have the same issue?

Thanks,

EY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Agarwal Atul,

When printing with Protected Mode OFF, the print looks ok. Maybe topic starter Acroblabchi can try it too, just to be sure.

We are on the right track,

Gr. Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2011 Jan 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here; just upgraded from Reader 9 to Reader X on Windows 2003 Terminal Server and the characters are closer together on the print. "Print as image" did not solve the problem (also printing as administrator). The issue is solved disabling the "Protected mode". Hope you can fix it ASAP.

Lorenzo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2011 Mar 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having issues with Adobe X.  I can no longer attach PDFs to my internet fax for outgoing messages.  It gives me a blank page with an inside box listing the PDF file and I have to click it to open the document. After opening the document, I still cannot attach it to the outgoing fax.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also worked for me. I switched off the protection mode and now the font is normal when I print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

turning off protected mode worked for me however i did get a prompt saying it was not recommended.

Are there any specific settings that strictly relate to font handling within Reader X?

Also not sure if this point was made previously, If you are trying to open a PDF from IE or FF, you need to close and reopen your browser for the change to take affect similar to closing and reopening Reader X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2011 Jan 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not get any warning that you need to restart the application in order to turn ON or OFF the protected mode.

Yes. There are certain font reated settings available for PS printer under the advanced button on the main print dialog. You will also have to restart your browser after you ahve changed the protected mode settings.

Thanks,

Atul Agarwal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2011 Jan 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing the same problems.

Newly rebuilt machine using  XP3 SP3. Reader X. Printing to a network connected Samsung CLP300N.

When I print anything the text is effectively  stretched and looks awful.

The quick fix of Print Image resolves the  problem in as much as the document looks as it should, but the raster  based printing is not as crisp as it should be.

I tried Atul's suggestion of turning off the protected mode at startup, and sure enough the documents print perfectly. Once I turn Protected mode back on, the print problem returns.

I hope this helps, and that a fix is created for it. Should I leave the protected mode off for the time being, or would you recommend against it?

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2011 Feb 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue too. Acrobat X on windows 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services

. Disabling protected mode appears to fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2011 Feb 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem still exists in 10.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines