• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADE and Sony prs-950

Feb 13, 2011 Feb 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone and Jim.

I've read this forum sporadically over the last few days while trying to sort out some issues with my wife's new ereader, ade, the sonyreader software (EWWW!!!), Calibre, and borrowing ebooks from our library.  Let's just say that I'm amazed that the general public even attempts to get all this stuff to work.  I'm on of those guys folks go to for informal IT help and I'm pretty computer literate, but MAN... this software chain of command process is, at least in our experience so far, pretty darn user-unfriendly.

On the plus side, Jim, this forum (unlike many) DOES actually have someone from the parent company reading it and answering questions in a helpful, literate fashion.  Very unusual, and very appreciated.  Thank you ALREADY for that.

Let me get to my reason for writing.  Here's what works..

1.  ADE is installed.  We can check out ebooks from our libary, authorize them with ADE, and read them within ADE.

2.  We can use Calibre to transfer non-DRM'd ebooks to the PRS-950.  It's a great program, and works beautifully.

3.  We can use the SonyReader software to move DRM'd books to the PRS-950 successfully.

Now, according to various other forums and the Calibre website, Calibre should be able to catalog, organize, and transfer DRM books to ereaders, but it can't open or convert them.

Permit me to stipulate the following... the SonyReader software is AWFUL.  I do not want to use it, and have no intention of ever buying an eBook from the SonyStore.

OK, I've got that off my chest.  A few days ago, I successfully transferred a library book authorized through ADE to the ereader via calibre.  YAY!  Although we couldn't read the book in Calibre, it opened fine on the PRS-950.   I triumphantly removed the SonyReader software from my computer.  I haven't been able to transfer a library book successfully since; when I do it now, the library books won't open on the PRS-950.  WHY?

Next question, and much more firmly in the ADE arena...

According to many other forums (and this one, I believe), ADE is supposed to recognize eReaders, and I should be able to use it ALONE to transfer our libary books to the reader.  Nothing happens at all when I plug in the reader.  I've tried plugging it in prior to opening ADE, after opening ADE, with AND without chanting mystical Mayan tribal incantations to the gods of technological expediency.

Although I'd love to be able to use Calibre as the sole means of transferring and tracking our reading and ADE for authorizing our books, I could settle for using ADE to transfer library books if necessary.  Right now, neither seems possible.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Green as I am, I'll give you a stab at an answer.

First, the Forum has many people who have been having problems authorizing

an ereader to ADE. I have not. I followed a sequence to get the ereader

'authorized' or recognized by ADE on my PC: I plugged in the ereader and

got my PC to recognize it as a 'USB Storage Device'. Then, I started ADE on

the computer, and it found my Literati, and added it to the left-hand side

of my display. It was automagic.

My Literati has ADE application files and folders on it, which means to me

that ADE, after recognizing it, downloaded files to it, because I did not,

or that the Literati came with an ADE application already loaded. That's

the first thing I'd check: can you 'see' your ereader on you PC or MAC,

using appropriate 'explorer' software? Then, can you 'see' any ADE-type

files on it? If you can't 'see' the device without ADE, you can't 'see' it

via ADE either.... And if there are no ADE application files on it, then

it's not going to work with ADE that you have on your computer.

I have no experience with Calibre, so I can't comment. Sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, I can browse the files on the ereader without any trouble when it's connected to my computer via usb.  As I said, I can transfer to and from the ereader using Calibre without any trouble as long as it's material free of DRM.  ADE is the only software that doesn't seem to detect the device.  The device is activated w/ ADE (or at least was at one time, and I haven't done anything to deactivate it), otherwise I wouldn't have been able to transfer titles to it via the hideous SonyReader software after ADE authorized the book.

Soo... any more ideas, anyone?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an extra bit of information that is transfered along with the book when you are using ADE/Sony EBL for library books, that describes the list of valid library books (the ones you haven't returned). A Library book needs to be on this list on your 950 in order for you to be able to read in on the 950.

I'm going to guess that you transferred a library book prior to expirementing with Calibre, which would have transferred the list for all your currently valid books, and that's why it worked once, but not subsequently.  (Calibre doesn't know about and can't transfer that list).

I'm going to also guess that you are using a Mac, and the entire Sony family of Mac Readers require an extra driver (compared to everybody else), that was never maid available to Adobe on the Mac (Windows yes, Mac no).  So if you are using a Mac and you want Library books on your 950, unfortunately (given your stated dislike) Sony EBL is the only solution available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 15, 2011 Feb 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my question. We use PC machines and not Macs. Turns out, however, that there IS a driver issue similar to what you described below. I had to reinstall the Sony Library software, which contains the necessary driver and is the ONLY way to get the necessary driver installed even if you never use the Sony Library software. I can now transfer library books from ADE directly to the Sony without any trouble. I haven't tried it from Calibre yet, although I'm guessing that'll be possible too now. I know you can't open or convert ADEPT DRM books w/ Calibre, but their forums all indicate that you CAN transfer said books to readers with it. In any case, at least my wife can easily move books to and from her ereader using ADE and ONLY ADE.. as long as I don't uninstall the Sony Library software. Good enough. Thanks again!

Barry

-

Jim Lester <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

There is an extra bit of information that is transfered along with the book when you are using ADE/Sony EBL for library books, that describes the list of valid library books (the ones you haven't returned)  This book needs to be on this list on your 950 in order for you to be able to read in on the 950.

I'm going to guess that you transferred a library book prior to expirementing with Calibre, which would have transferred the list for all your currently valid books, and that's why it work once, but not subsequently.  (Calibre doesn't know about and can't transfer that list).

I'm going to also guess that you are using a Mac, and the entire Sony family of Mac Readers require an extra driver (compared to everybody else), that was never maid available to Adobe on the Mac (Windows yes, Mac no).  So if you are using a Mac and you want Library books on your 950, unfortunately (given your stated dislike) Sony EBL is the only solution available.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wierd..

I just read a reply to my original post, and replied to that helpful person, but those messages don't appear now... ?

In any case, I saw a post down in the "related post" section of the page, and Jim had answered another Sony user's similar question.  Turns out, in Sony's infinite wisdom, a specific driver is necessary for ADE to see the sony readers, and that driver can ONLY be installed along with the Sony Reader Library software.  Begrudgingly, I reinstalled that hideous piece of software detritus, and sure enough ADE now recongizes my PRS-950.  This reader is my wife's, and I'm in the market for one myself.  It sure won't be a Sony.  Can anyone explain to me why, after paying Sony a couple hundred bucks for their piece of hardware, Sony thinks they have the right to force you to use their proprietary software when other alternatives exist?  In any case, Sony Reader Library will need to remain on my machine, but I sure as heck will not be using it!  <grin>

Thanks, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines