Expand my Community achievements bar.

Email will not launch on submit button (FireFox/Outlook).

Level 2

We have a rather confusing issue with our LiveCycle forms.  We are using FireFox 3.0.11 with Acrobat 1.7 (version 8.x) and Outlook 2003.  All of the systems using this setup can open regular HTML "mailto:" links in our browser configuration.  On my particular machine, I can open the "Submit by Email" link on our documents as expected.  A number of my co-workers cannot.  This solution needs to work for everyone in my group and I really need some insight into what could be the descrepency between my working configuration and their configuration.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Please let me know if there is any further information I can provide.

Thank you,

Alex

6 Replies

Former Community Member

Alex

Compare the following between a machine that works and one that doesn't...

In Internet Explorer (I realize that you are using FireFox, and there may be another place to set this, but I am only aware of this setting through IE), select Tools > Internet Options > Programs and make sure the "E-mail" option is set to "Microsoft Office Outlook"  This option determines what mail client is used for a "mailto" URL.

Regards

Steve

Level 2

Hi Steve,

I have checked the settings in FireFox and IE for the mail client and they are the same.  I think I know what my problem may be.  I believe some of our users are able to use Acrobat as the PDF loader in FireFox and others either do not have Acrobat installed or just have Adobe Reader as the default PDF loader.  I should be able to fix this for the Acrobat users by making hte default PDF loader Acrobat and not Adobe Reader.  I will mark my question as answered if this works.  Thank you for takingthe time to reply to my question.

-Alex

Level 1

I'm experiencing the same thing. The odd part is that if I change the form to submit as xml data instead of a PDF, the submit button works properly.

<submit format="xml" textEncoding="UTF-8" target="mailto:myemail@email.com"/> will work fine, but

<submit format="pdf" textEncoding="UTF-8" target="mailto:myemail@email.com"/> will not.

Former Community Member

If you are using Reader you need to Reader Extend the form to allow for submitting PDF from Reader.

Paul

Level 1

Paul, I owe you a cookie.

Thanks a ton.

Former Community Member

Try submitting to a server-side script, which you have full control over the message and can customize the attachment the way you need such as file name or message body, and send a message response or redirect the user if the message has been sent or not. Using a server-side script bypasses Client Side Email software, so it can work for everyone who opens and submits the form, regardless of whether they have Outlook, Lotus, or a web based e-mail client.

Sounds like PDFEmail.net would work for your circumstance. PDFEmail.net runs scripts on Microsoft ASP.net web servers, and requires zero programming knowledge and virtually zero server setup. Just upload the scripts and libraries to your Microsoft .net web server virtual directory, and set the PDF submit button action URL to point to the script.

For more information, please visit: http://www.pdfemail.net/