• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator defaults to 72 dpi ... how to change that permanently?

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2011 Feb 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one permanently set illustrator to save at its fine drawing state and go to the 72 dpi state on those rare occasions one like me wants low resolution instead of fine drawings?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 14, 2011 Feb 14, 2011

Change the Document Raster Effects Settings in the documents as you open them...

Effects > Document Raster Effects Setting

There's no need to copy to a new document. You simply need to correct the setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To what default are you referring? The Save for Web and Devices default of 72 ppi for JPEG and PNG, the Document Raster Effects default or something else. AI files in themselves have no default resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open all my old illustrator drawings with the new illustrator and try to save them there is a warning that says it will be saved at less than 72 pixels per inch, that would turn all my old drawings into something as rough as a giff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That setting only affects pixel based effects - have you used any?

You can change it in the Document raster effects settings.

When creating a new document, watch out for the setting. For documents using the print document profile, the resolution should already be set to 72 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika Gause wrote:

For documents using the print document profile, the resolution should already be set to 72 ppi.

I think you meant...

"already be set to 300 ppi."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[SW] wrote:

I think you meant...

"already be set to 300 ppi."

of course, sorry. All those number things ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open an illustrator 10.2 document with illustrator CS5 and then save the new document there is a warning that the new document is 72 ppi or less. If I copy and paste the old drawing onto a new illustrator CS5 file it behaves normally. It seems very inefficient to go through years of drawings and copy and paste all the layers into new documents but I guess if that's the only way I will just gradually do it.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the Document Raster Effects Settings in the documents as you open them...

Effects > Document Raster Effects Setting

There's no need to copy to a new document. You simply need to correct the setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there's no way to set illustrator to read a high quality line drawing and leave it there ? It's designed for the web now instead of actual drawing ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a way now, for new documents you create. Use a "print" profile when you create a new document.

Your issue is due to the opening of old documents that were set incorrectly. There's no way to tell old documents to change unless you open them. Originally when you created the old documents, the settings were wrong. Since Illustrator has gorwn up a bit, it's now showing you things are set incorrectly, previously you simply didn't notice the incorrect setting (but it was still wrong just the same).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I checked all of you great folks as helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How old are the illustrations in question? As Monica said it only really affects Effects which use Photoshop Effects (bottom half of the Effects menu) or Blending modes and Drop Shadows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines