Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use MenuBuilder ?

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2006 Jul 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text
does anyone how an idea how to create various levels of menu's that will autorun as HTML on a cd, no matter how the cd/dvd drive has being mapped e.g. my menubuilders runs spot on when mapped D:/ but not on other uses E:/ F:/ etc...
appreciate any thoughts on this matter!
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2006 Jul 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi birchuso

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are talking about two or three different things.

1. Absolute VS Relative linking
2. Linking one MenuBuilder file to another
3. Using Autorun to run HTML off a CD

Possible answers:
1. In MenuBuilder, when you establish a link to something, it typically pops the full path in as part of the mix. Perhaps the path would be something like this:
C:\MenuBuilder Output\MyProject.SWF

This is what is known as an "absolute" link. You are linking explicitly to a known address. Now if you moved the output to another PC, using this manner of linking, your end user would need to have files in the identical location for things to work.

With absolute linking, it's like being inside a house and asking someone to fetch something from 123 Maple Street, AnyTown USA in the Garage. So the person would go outside the house, locate 123 Maple Street, AnyTown USA, go into the garage and get the item.

With relative linking, it's llike the same scenario, but instead of supplying the full address, the person asks for something from the Garage. Assuming the Garage exists, it doesn't matter what town the house is in, only that the garage can be found. In other words, it's relative to the house.

So here is one way to prevent this absolute linking from occurring. When you create the links from MB, you probably click and navigate to them. And when you look at the end result, you probably see an absolute path in the field. So you simply edit the path so it is no longer absolute. Perhaps it looks like this initially: C:\MenuBuilder Output\MyProject.SWF. You would then edit this so it appears as simply MyProject.SWF.

Next, you would want to be sure and place a check mark in the check box labeled "Save file with project".

2. Linking one MenuBuilder file to another. Using the rules above, you just establish the link. Now normally, MenuBuilder .SWF output does not have a companion HTML page. But note that MenuBuilder has about three flavors of output. So linking from one flavor to another can sometimes result in odd behavior. Normally when you decide to mix the flavors. In my experience, it's best to avoid mixing flavors if you can.

Link from .EXE to Captivate .EXE or from .SWF to Captivate .SWF. If you mix at all, I believe the best results are when you link from .HTM MenuBuilder output to .SWF/.HTM Captivate output. But when you go mixing .HTM with .EXE, or .EXE with .HTM, the behavior may become unpredictable.

3. Autorunning HTML. I know MenuBuilder offers the ability to produce an Autorun.inf (the "behind the scenes" file that provides the magic for autorun) but I'm not 100% confident that it works to kick off an HTML page. I've seen it fail on my own PCs from time to time.

Note that sometimes autorun has issues if the file names in use are long or have spaces. Consequently, I've always advised to stick to the old DOS 8.3 format. Where the file you are trying to automatically run looks like this:
MyMBFile.EXE as opposed to My Most Wonderful And Delicious MenuBuilder File In The Whole Entire Universe.EXE

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources