• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 9 "Page cannot be displayed"

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2011 Feb 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've compiled my RH 9.0 file using the FM TOC and the TOC displays and all the topics in the TOC, but the topics text does not display. They each display "Page cannot be displayed."

I'm new to RH 9 and this is the first time I've used a RH product in about 10 years.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 14, 2011 Feb 14, 2011

Welcome to our community.

Where are you trying to view the CHM from? My guess is that you will answer that by saying: I placed it on a network.

Copy the CHM file to your local PC and the topics should then display.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community.

Where are you trying to view the CHM from? My guess is that you will answer that by saying: I placed it on a network.

Copy the CHM file to your local PC and the topics should then display.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I forgot to add that if your output file is on a network, your project may be there as well. And if that's the case, it's a seriously bad move. You need to ensure your project is on the local C drive and not the network.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2011 Feb 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Rick. This worked like a charm.

I'd like to understand why though. Does this mean that I always need to store my RH files on my local drive and not on my network? If so, why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Snippet 120.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the reason why CHMs do not work on a network drive, click here. For the reason why RoboHelp project source files should be used on network location, read on.

At the heart of each RoboHelp project is a .CPD file. This is essentially a Microsoft Access database under an Adobe guise. Access databases are notorious for running into all sorts of problems when opened on a network drive. These problems often disappear as if by magic if the file is moved to a local drive. So by all means backup your RoboHelp source files to a network drive, but never run the project on one.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

RoboHelp is among many applications that don't fare well with working on files while they are in a network location. RoboHelp projects consist of many different files and it's easy to lose track of them. Additionally, a Microsoft Access database file is used and those have never fared well with network setups.

You probably don't realize it, but we are actually talking about two different issues here.

The first issue is that of the way you edit your content using RoboHelp. That's what was described in the first paragraph. You always want to work with your projects only while they are stored locally. Now your IT staff may insist that you keep your projects on the network. But we recommend you don't. What you can do is to keep your projects on the local C drive, then make copies of the projects to the network on a daily basis. I will even recommend that you go a step further and copy also to a memory stick, external hard drive or CD/DVD. That way you have a backup even if the LAN fails.

The second issue is that of Microsoft HTML Help (compiled CHM) not working when it is accessed from the network. That's a Microsoft issue and not a RoboHelp issue and it deals with security vulnerabilities. If you plan on deploying a help system via a Network distribution, you should really consider a different format such as WebHelp, FlashHelp or Web Based AIR Help.

Hopefully this helps shed some light.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes - local projects = good; network projects = bad

RH works with an Access database that gets corrupted if it's going back & forth over a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp