8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2011 7:51 AM by Edmilson Cruz RSS

InDesign CS5 - Problem with TOC

Edmilson Cruz Community Member

Hello!

I use InDesign CS5 and all paragraph styles needed to create the summary have been programmed. But at the end of the publication have a summary of attachments and the title "Attachments ", styled in the center, should appear in the summary page. But interestingly, all titles that have the same style "Attachments" are listed in the summary, but the "Attachments" does not appear. It can be a problem in InDesign.

Then, other titles in summaries are not collected by summary page. The only solution I found was cut all the text, delete the box created automatically by the TOC, create a new box and paste the contents of attachments. When updating the main summary, the title "Attachments" with the respective page finally appears.

Is there another solution?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 - Problem with TOC
          Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

?????????????????

How about some screen shots of what you want, what you get, and the TOC dialog?

I have the feeling you want the TOC to include itself, but it isn't clear, and that isn't possible.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 - Problem with TOC

For example:

A summary was created for the illustrations;
            Also a summary for the graphics;
            Also for the tables;

Inside the main summary, these other titles summaries should appear, but are not listed.

Unfortunately, the screenshots do not help the solution of the problem, because the style applied to the titles are correctly added in the TOC.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 - Problem with TOC
              Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

What style have you applied to the headings for the sub-summaries? Is it used anywhere else in the document?

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 - Problem with TOC

I created a style "center" for central titles on the page. This style is used in multiple parts of the text. It is also used in the titles of summaries for tables and figures.

However, a main summary recognizes only the titles with a style "center" entered manually in the text.

That's the problem. Although the style being applied to the TOC titles of figures and tables, they are not listed when generating the main summary.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5 - Problem with TOC
                  Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

OK, I can reproduce the problem, and I think it's expected behavior. TOCs are "special" in that ID knows they are TOC stories and can update them when things get moved. Apparently TOC ignores any frame with this property, and the only way I see around it is to do waht you are doing. I tested back to CS3 and it works that way there, too, so eihter it's a really old bug or as designed.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5 - Problem with TOC

So, Peter, there is no solution.

Or there. Cut a summary text, delete the box, create a new box and paste the text again. Thus, the title is finally recognized by the main summary.

But if you change the places of contents ...

It is a manual solution, far from what is expected of an automated application like InDesign.

Thanks for the help.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5 - Problem with TOC
                      Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Another option woudl be to add a non-printing frame with the title of each sub-summary and group it with the automated one. They would move together and you could still update the sub-summary, while the main summary would pick up the non-printing text. I use a similar trick when making an Index to Advertisers to locate ads which are placed and have no text that I can access directly.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS5 - Problem with TOC

Excellent!

Although not ideal, as expected, is the best solution to keep the summary updatable.The title was copied, pasted into a new box, the frame was adjusted to the content and non-printing option was selected.

I just aligned exactly the same place of the original title and group both frames. At least it keeps also the automation of summaries.

Thank you for your help, Peter.