• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Browsing sequences not stepping into subtopics within a book

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my first experience with browse sequences.  I automatically created them from the TOC per the help instructions.  When I compliled (Webhelp Pro) and tried to use them they would not enter into the book itself.  Instead, it would skip to the next book or topic that was on the same TOC level.

I want people to be able to sequentially traverse the TOC up and down using the Previous and Next buttons not stay on the same TOC level it is currently on.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  Or, have I somehow misunderstood how automatic browse sequencing works?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2011 Feb 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First you mention WebHelp Pro. You are publishing to RoboHelp Server?

I suspect that by using the autocreate option, RoboHelp has created a browse sequence for each book, yes?

You need to have one browse sequence for what you want so you will have to change things manually.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

If you want a simple TOC walker Browse Sequence, try entering 0 for the level when you auto-create the sequence.

tmp1.PNG

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried setting the number of TOC levels to 0 which did give me a single browse sequence with all my topics.  Unfortunately, the order of the topics is not what you would see if it were set to follow the sequential order of the topics you would have if each topic was linked to its predecessor and successor.  I was hoping there was a way to generate this automatically because to do it manually in a large help file, especially one that is still being written, is too time consuming.

Are there any other ideas?  I used HTMLHelp years ago and it automatically linked all the topics in the proper order up and down the TOC levels.  I am baffled as to why I wouldn't be able to do this in a much more sophisticated tool like RoboHelp 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Robohelp's automatic generation of Browse sequences from the ToC uses a breadth-first search while most people find a depth-first search more logical. AFAIK you're stuck with manual ordering. You can make it easier by creating a new ToC called Browse, setting it up to the sequence you want, and then using this to create the BS. This gives you access to better drag-and-drop facilities, and also you can see in the profile list whether all topics have been included.

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp