Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

virus and malware with flash player

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

read a lot about flash player and virus/malware.  Are folks

saying that this happens when installing flash player from the adobe site???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you read such a thing...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2011 Feb 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all over

they say that flash player from adobe and the java stuff are BIG targets.

so that is why I was wondering if they meant thta the download process gets infected sometimes or if they are talking about infections after install

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2011 Feb 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WestyD, Adobe uses secure servers,  the same as Microsoft does. Malware can come from any place, that's why it is so damaging. Malware effects the System, depending on what kind it is. That's why it's important to have Anti-Virus/Spyware protection. A good one I might add, since some are totally worthless in my opinion. I worked on one thread that had the full paid version of the latest Norton and 4-5 computers were networked. I could tell by the addons in the browser and inquiring further the actual programs that were Installed and knew they were most likely malware. Had the person run a full scan with Norton and they found a couple of "Cookies". Had them Install MBAM and they were infected with Trojans, Viruses and more!!

That's what I mean about a good Anti-Virus. In my opinion if the Anti-Virus can't keep the malware out, then what good is it?

Anytime a new version of Flash Player comes out, it has many more Security features for this very reason. With Java, old Java on the system is a target, remove all old Java and have only the latest version.

Malware is a constant vigil. Stay off of risky sites, have a good AV, keep Windows/Adobe/Java and any other programs updated helps a lot.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is true.  It's happening to me right now.  I have no idea how it happened, but I cannot download Flashplayer and get it to stick.  It says I've installed it successfully, but it doesn't work when I go to sites.  I keep getting messages saying that I have to download it.  When downloading, there was a checked box saying I could also download a McAfee scan.  I always unchecked the box until finally the last time I left it checked.  Now twice a McAfee box popped up saying my computer was at risk and I have to download something.  So far, I've been able to click away from that, but once my computer got hijacked by a Windows Security Shield virus and I had to get a fix from another computer on a flash drive.  I know I'm deep crap here and would appreciate any leads anyone has.  I will add that any Adobe site I've ever downloaded from has sure looked official to me.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George,  What I would suggest is that you go to this site and download to your Desktop the Free version of

Malwarebytes. Use the Update feature to update it, then minimize the window.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Then close all windows except that one. If you have any other Anti-Virus programs installed, Disable them.

If you know how to disable the McAfee, do that. If not, just leave it as it is for now. Then run a Full Scan with MBAM(malwarebytes) and follow the instructions if any malware is found for removal. When that is finished, run a Quick Scan.

Then try and see if Flash Player is working as it should. If not, make sure the Shockwave Flash Object in your Manage addons is listed and Enabled for IE. If any other browser, as Firefox, make sure the Shockwave Flash is listed and Enabled.

If you need to reply, list your Operating System, 32 or 64 bit and browsers used and version numbers.

Go here and find what version of Flash Player you have installed:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Blue,

nice to see you here again; hope everything is well.

And congratulations to 9,999 posts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2011 Oct 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat! Thank you. Things are back to normal. I like the changes here:-) Hope all is better in your area also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb (blondie?),

Thanks for answering. Flashplayer tells me I have Ver. 10,3,183,10

installed. I'm running Windows XP and use Firefox Ver. 3.6.23 and IE

8.0.6001.18702. I this year I got infected with some kind of Windows

security shield virus that took over my computer. I couldn't access the

malware bytes website much less download the file. My cousin had to put it

on a flash drive that I then installed. It fixed the problem, but things

haven't been right since. The Windows security shield icon in the tray says

I don't have automatic updates installed. When I try to install it from the

icon, it says I have to go to System in Control Panel. When I go there, it

shows that Automatic Updates are installed. I can't make this go away.

An IT guy at work e-mailed me the malware bytes file and I e-mailed it home.

Outlook scrubbed the file saying it was blocking access to a potentially

unsafe attachment. So I purchased a subscription, ran a full scan on every

drive overnight, and the next morning it said it didn't find anything.

I also have a problem with IE add-ons. I don't know how they got turned

off. When I go to Manage, it says everything is enabled.

I bought my computer in 2003. After all this, I made up my mind to buy a

new one. This time an Apple. RIP Steve Jobs. Thanks again for trying to

help.

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Malware infections can do terrible things to a system, and make it difficult to use even the infection itself has been removed.  Sometimes it is best to completely reinstall Windows.

But what I would try first in your case is to uninstall Flash Player 10, then install the latest Flash Player 11 (from the installers in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/909550).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi George, Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the description of what happened. Originally with that Security Shield Virus it's just a fake warning telling you that a virus has been detected and wants you to run the program to "get rid of it" The warning itself if ignored can't do anything. They want you to then buy the program.  However, if you couldn't access the internet or even use your PC, then you may have actually had a Fake Trojan attack. That would actually freeze your computer and cause it to be useless.

Are you still having a problem with that icon in your system tray or any manage add on issue?

Macs are nice, been thinking of one myself.

Let me know if your PC is back to normal or not. Did you update to the latest Flash Player as Pat suggested? Latest version is 11.0.1.152

eidnolb or blondie, is fine:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines