7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2011 1:51 AM by JedR RSS

AME fails when attempting a F4V 2 pass encode

JedR Community Member

Hi there

AME is failing to encode properly when attempting to encode an F4V with 2 passes. The encode gets to the end of the first pass, then fails and stops. 1 pass F4V encodes work fine, as well as 2 pass FLV encodes. I've tried with multiple source videos, all different formats, with the same results.

I've tried deleting/renaming my "AMEPrefs.xml" and restarting AME, no good, doesn't help. It's strange because this used to work fine on my current setup, and has only stopped working recently. Any help appreciated. Here are my specs:

AME 5.0.1.0 (64bit)

Windows 7

Thanks!

Jed

• 1. Re: AME fails when attempting a F4V 2 pass encode
          JedR Community Member

Oops, sorry, seems this issue is covered in depth in the following thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/716463

It looks like I'm having the exact same problem. AME was broken during update to v5.0.1.0.

Adobe, are you any closer to fixing this bug?

Thanks

Jed

• 2. Re: AME fails when attempting a F4V 2 pass encode
            Todd_Kopriva Adobe Employee

> Adobe, are you any closer to fixing this bug?

We're working on it.

• 3. Re: AME fails when attempting a F4V 2 pass encode
              JedR Community Member

Thanks for your reply Todd, but in the meantime what am I supposed to tell my clients when they ask why the encoding quality of the F4Vs is not optimum? Can I at least give them a timescale as to when this bug might be fixed? If you break software with an update I expect the fix to come in days not months. Or at the very least full, transparent disclosure of what went wrong / when it might be fixed. Please give us some information to work with.

• 4. Re: AME fails when attempting a F4V 2 pass encode
                zorbakk Community Member
                                                    25.                                 Nov 9, 2010 3:04 PM                                     in response to:                                     Mikael B                                

Re: 2 pass f4v fails at start of second pass                                                                                        

Our engineers have identified the problem and are working on a fix. We  don't yet have any news on when such a fix would be released.

29.                                 Jan 28, 2011 2:45 PM                                     in response to:                                     Alex - DV411                                

Re: 2 pass f4v fails at start of second pass                                                                                        

> Any updates?

No. I can't comment on when specific software may be released.

Feb 18, 2011
                                        Re: AME fails when attempting a F4V 2 pass encode                    

> Adobe, are you any closer to fixing this bug?

We're working on it.

Are You serious?

• 5. Re: AME fails when attempting a F4V 2 pass encode
                  JedR Community Member

Sadly, I think he is being serious. This customer service/communication is pretty terrible. You would have thought, what with video being the cornerstone of Flash's success (and future) on the web, that when Adobe break their main video encoding software with an update they'd scramble to fix it. To be honest I just don't understand this behaviour.

• 6. Re: AME fails when attempting a F4V 2 pass encode
                    mancorn

mmm... it's now 6 months later and I'm still having the same problem.

• 7. Re: AME fails when attempting a F4V 2 pass encode
                      JedR Community Member

Sounds like this bug has been fixed in AME 5.5.

Annoyingly in order to get the fix you need to upgrade to (and buy) CS 5.5 product(s), they won't give you the bug fix in a fully updated AME 5.0.

Can you believe that?