Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Persistent crash whilst fixing broken links

Feb 14, 2011 Feb 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RH8 on Windows Vista SP2.

Hi,

I've had to reorganise a very large project as a result of major project changes.

Although I carefully updated many, many links, I currently have several broken links listed.

As I work through the list, fixing the topic links and topic references, I'm experiencing constant crashes.

I can use Show Topic Links within the Broken Links area and update the links & save without problems.

However, when I Show Topic References within the Broken Links area, update the links and save, I get a persistent crash. It is always after saving the last reference for that broken link that the crash occurs.

It seems to save the change, but the following Microsoft Windows message appears:

" Adobe RoboHelp 8 has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

There is then only the option to "Close Program".

Any ideas why this should be happening and is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Thanks!

Feebeegeebee

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say whether or not you have the patches applied.

If you do, first try trashing the CPD and reopening the project.

If that gets you nowhere. See Opening Projects and see if the method of repairing links there works better.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Sorry. Yes I have all the latest patches applied (RH 8.0.2.208).

I will try that and post back.

Regards,

Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/opening/opening_projects.htm

Look under the Standalone Projects heading. Step 3. Basically repair the links by right clicking and selecting Restore.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,
Sorry. Yes I have all the latest patches applied (RH 8.0.2.208).
I will try that and post back.
Regards,
Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried blowing away the .cpd file and experienced exactly the same problems.

I couldn't find any other solution either.

Regards,

Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Look under the Standalone Projects heading. Step 3. Basically repair the links by right clicking and selecting Restore."

Hi Peter,

Sadly, when I right-click on the broken links in the Project Manager, the Restore option is greyed-out and unavailable, so I have to use Show Topic References and edit the reference to fix it.

I'm baffled and getting very frustrated at the number of crashes.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then do you click Edit or Restore. To be more precise, have you tried both options?

Beyond that, not sure.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was having the exact same problem and it is maddening. I was trying to fix the links from the Broken Links folder in the Project Manager. It would crash every time I repaired a link. I had much better luck using the Tools > Resolve Broken Links, though I couldn't repair some from there. The buttons were disabled as you mentioned. I had to go back and restore some of those old deleted files, then remove all the hyperlinks in them, then delete the old file again. This seemed to work well for topic-to-topic links but I had issues with Index keywords. I found the only way I could hunt those down was to run the Broken Links report (Tools > Reports > Broken Links). I'm not sure why but working from the Broken Links folder in the Project Manager was what caused the crashing for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JAH9162!

At least I know I wasn't alone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I couldn't click on Restore, as it was unavailable (greyed-out).

I had to use Edit and update the link to the correct place. However, saving after making that change triggered the crash.

It is painful having to restart RoboHelp after editing and saving every link, but that's how several desperate hours were spent this week.

Cheers!

Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Each hour around 6,500 people around the world died. Be happy you did better than them.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp