• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader X and protected PDF files

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Adobe Reader X yesterday. Today I cannot open any secured PDF files. I get a redirection to the FileOpen web site instead.Unprotected PDF's open just fine. The secured PDF's opened fine in my previous Adobe Reader 9 program.

What is the problem and how does Adobe plan to fix it? I re-downloaded Reader 9.4 but it would not install, telling me a later version was already installed.

Thanks for any information you may be able to offer.

Bill Sharpe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2011 Feb 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly do you mean when you say Secured File. How is it secured?

You can try this :

Launch Reader . Go to Edit - >Preferences.->General . Uncheck "Protected mode at startup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Adobe Reader X yesterday.

Did you install the FileOpen plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install the FileOpen plugin?

The FileOpen plug-in was already installed and worked just fine in Reader versions 7, 8, and 9 without any further action on my part.

I looked at the plug-n downloads at the FileOpen site -- the zip file didn't contain any files after July 2010 and Reader X was released just a few days ago.

I have left a message at the FileOpen site asking for help, although I think it's sloppy programming on Adobe's part to have important support files such as these broken with a new release of Reader.

Message was edited by: William Sharpe -- corrected spelling error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The FileOpen plug-in was already installed and worked just fine in Reader versions 7, 8, and 9 without any further action on my part.

I looked at the plug-n downloads at the FileOpen site -- the zip file didn't contain any files after July 2010 and Reader X was released just a few days ago.

Did you install the FileOPen plugin after the installation of Adobe Reader X ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2011 Feb 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not install the FileOpen plug-in after installing Reader X. The plug-ins were already installed.

When I removed Reader X and re-installed Reader 9.4, I was able to view my protected PDF's again. My technical contact at Scott Publishing, the company that placed the security on the PDF's, informs me that the FileOpen security will not work with Reader X and suggested that I got back to version 9.

I also left a message at FileOpen's site Thursday asking what was going on. Although they claim that they will respond within 24 hours I have not heard from them as of Saturday morning and probably won't until at least Tuesday.

I would like to continue installing updates and upgrades from Adobe because of security concerns but I also need to view these PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you suggested, I installed Reader X, then added the plug-in files using the FileOpen msi installer.

Still no joy.   I now have the fileopen.api file located in both of these subdirectories:

c:\program files\adobe\reader 10.0\reader\plug_ins\

c:\program files\adobe\reader 9.0\reader\plug_ins\

I was able to view my protected files using Reader 9, but I still cannot open them at all in Reader X.

Any further suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got a response this morning -- yes, Saturday -- from FileOpen Systems suggesting that I try the following installation for the fileopen security:

http://www.resolver.com/client/foClientInstaller.exe

That worked and I am now able to view my protected files in Reader X.

Bill

PS Do I get ten points for answering my own question

Message was edited by: William Frederick added the PS and emoticon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're opening PDF files that use the proprietary DRM system from FileOpen.com, and so you must install their plugin for each new version of Acrobat or Reader you install:

http://plugin.fileopen.com/all.aspx

If there are any issues with the plugin not running properly under Reader X, they must be addressed to FileOpen directly. These forums do not provide customer support for third-party software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The zip files for the FileOpen plug-ins all have dates at least six months old, so I don't believe they apply to Acrobat Reader X. My protected files opened just fine in Reader Versions 7, 8, and 9. All other PDF files open fine in Reader X. I uninstalled Reader X, then reinstalled Reader 9.4 and my protected PDF's are again visible.

Nevertheless, I have left a message at the FileOpen site asking for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of my customers are experiencing similar issues. They have contacted me to say that the forms I have created on Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 are no longer fillable forms in Adobe X. They can see where the fields should be, but Adobe X will not allow them to fill in the form or alter previously entered information from version 9. I have double checked the security settings I have placed on the file, I secured the files with password security, allowing them to fill in currently existing forms and elements, low-res printing is enabled. After securing the file, I extended features to Reader to enable saving the form after it is completed.

Disabling Protected Mode has not resolved the issue, but going back to version 9 solves the issue immediately. My superiors do not want to upgrade to version X, worried that it may interfere with our current products, and worried that any files created on version X would not be compatible with earlier versions.

I have been unable to find any solutions for my customers. Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines