13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2011 1:00 AM by Alex Hallajian

Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?

Charles Yeh Level 1

I've looked everywhere. High and low. Even searched these forums.

I have to know; is this feature broken? I always thought I was using it wrong but adjusting the opacity of the stop (above the bar) never does anything. It seems to always be stuck on a solid 100% opacity of the color I've chosen.

The following 2 screen captures looks like it would affect the opacity of the upper stop and therefore affect the rest of the image when changing from 0% to 100% opacity, but absolutely NOTHING happens to my image.

I'm applying this gradient map as an adjustment layer.

Screen shot 2011-02-20 at 2.17.41 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-02-20 at 2.17.51 PM.png

• 1. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
          Level 7

Your pictures show it working perfectly.  The top image is opaque on both sides, and the second image has a gradient from opaque on the left to fully transparent on the right.

I'm not sure what else you might be expecting.

• 2. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
            Charles Yeh Level 1

Chris: Yes, the "animation" changes when I change the opacity from 0% to 100%. The gradient bar goes from opaque to transparent.

Yet, this has absolutely no (zero) effect on my image.

Can you please tell me what is supposed to happen in theory to my image when I map the upper stop to white and set it to 0% opacity versus 100% opacity? Shouldn't I see a difference in my image?

• 3. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
              Level 7

Yet, this has absolutely no (zero) effect on my image.

Is transparency enabled in the gradient tool options?

With transparency enabled, does the gradient fade out as seen in the preview?

The upper stop is opacity - it has no color.

Only the lower stops control color.

Yes, you would see a difference when applying the gradient to your image, if you have transparency enabled for the gradient tool.  But there is an option to turn it off.

• 4. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
                Charles Yeh Level 1

Hey Chris,

So the "Gradient Tool" has the transparency box checked. But since we're talking about the Gradient Map, it's really not the same thing. Here are 2 screenshots showing my problem. In each you'll see the background image does NOT change when I change the opacity stop:

Screen shot 2011-02-20 at 10.42.23 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-02-20 at 10.42.32 PM.png

Can you try this and tell me if you're getting the same results? Thanks!

• 5. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
                  PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

I do get the same result in CS3, PC. As the idea is to map colors. Indeed, there should be another UI.

You might be able to do what you want by using the Blend If sliders (remember that you can split the sliders with an Option-drag to make a gradual change) in the Advanced Blending options (Double click the area around the layer name in the layers panel)

• 6. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
                    charles badland Level 4

So what result are you try to achieve?

1. As the Gradient becomes more transparent you will gradually see more of the "true" color of the underlying layer.

OR

2. As the gradient becomes more transparent it will map that transparency onto the underlying layer.

• 7. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
                      Level 7

I guess I misread the first post and thought you were using the gradient tool.

The Gradient Map adjustment does not use transparency from the gradient.

So yeah, transparency changes in the gradient aren't going to have an effect on a Gradient Map adjustment.

• 8. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
                        Charles Yeh Level 1

Hi Charles,

At this point I'm not sure what I was trying to achieve anymore just that adjusting the opacity doesn't seem to do anything at all.

With my underlying layer being B&W, I would imagine that if my upper stop (the blue) was set at 0% opacity, there would be a gradient where you'd see 0% of that blue in the highlights and more of it as you get to the middle (where it's a blend of blue/red) and then 100% red in the shadows.

Right now all I'm seeing is solid blue for all highlights regardless of whether or not I set the opacity to 100% or 0%.

So can anyone tell me what's supposed to happen as you change this opacity slider???

• 9. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
                          charles badland Level 4

Right now all I'm seeing is solid blue for all highlights regardless of whether or not I set the opacity to 100% or 0%.

So can anyone tell me what's supposed to happen as you change this opacity slider???

Like Chris said, Gradient Mapping does not map transparency. Just the color. (the right end of the gradient is still blue, just transparent.)

To see how transparency in a gradient works, use the Gradient Tool to drag out your gradient on a layer (that is, do not map the gradient).

• 10. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
                            Charles Yeh Level 1

PECourtejoie: You've probably hit the nail on the head as far as what I want to accomplish. I'm not good with the "blend if" sliders. I tried it before and the "transition" was wayyy too abrupt. I'll try the OPTION-drag! Thanks for that tip!

Cheers,

Charles

• 11. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
                              Charles Yeh Level 1

Hi Charles,

You've reached the limit of my comprehension. If it's transparent at the top end why is it still a solid blue? Please help me understand, I know I'm missing something but I don't "see it" right now lol

Cheers,

Charles

• 12. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
                                charles badland Level 4

Here’s an example: make a new image with a solid white Background. Now make a layer above it and paint a black X on it. Lower the opacity of that layer to 50%. Now that X looks gray, but try to make it darker by burning it or using Levels. You can’t. Because that gray X to Photoshop is not really gray, but transparent black.

Same with the gradient: You are not changing the color of the gradient, only its opacity. (maybe not the best explanation.. but first thing that came to mind! )

• 13. Re: Gradient Map Opacity Stop Broken?
                                  Alex Hallajian Level 1

I think even though the Gradient Map uses the same Gradient Editor window it just ignores the opacity value.

But based on your description I think there is a way to achieve your goal.

Once you create the Gradient Map adjustment layer, click once its white mask to enable it, then click on the Masks tab, then click on the Color Range button.

Make sure Sampled Colors is the selection method. Then choose a value on your image to be base color for the mask.

In this case, the darker the value, the more red the shadows. The lighter the value, the more blue the highlights will be. Anything in between will be a mixture.

I found some weird behaviour with this where once I clicked OK, then opened the Color Range Editor again, the results were not the same. It's as if it is applying the old mask to the new mask. But to fix it reset the mask to white and go back to the Color Range Editor again.

grad01.jpg

grad02.jpg

- Alex