Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CS5 Quicktime Import Problem

Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2010 Sep 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I am having a problem importing Quicktime .MOV files into Premiere Pro CS5.  When I import .mov files (I've tried several; some I've created myself from AE5, others are purchased from third party libraries) the file shows up in the PPro CS5 project bin, but can't be previewed by dragging into the Source Monitor (system spins for 1-2 minutes, then PPro Source Monitor just shows a gray backround, no video present).  If I drag the file to the timeline, the system will again spin for 1-2 minutes and then the Program Monitor will just display a black video frame.  If I try to play the timeline, the audio will play (if present), but the Program Monitor will show black with occasional "flashes" of a frame from the .mov file.  If I try to render the timeline nothing really happens except the estimate time to finish increases with no end in sight (3 minute clip was showing 20+ hours remaining before I killed it).

On the same machine, I can view the .mov files just fine using Quicktime 7.6.8, AE 5, and even PPro CS4.

I am running Windows 7 x64, 9GB memory, Core i7 Processor, Multiple HDD's (per Adobe recommendations), and a nVidia GFX740 card.  I've updated PPro CS5, Quicktime, and nVidia drivers all to the latest version this week.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Any ideas of how to fix this problem?

/BILLW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOV, like AVI, WMV, etc. is but a wrapper, and can contain all sorts of stuff. This ARTICLE will give you some background. With MOV files, I find that QT Pro (US$29 upgrade/unlock) does a good job at telling you what is inside the wrapper (Ctrl+J).

Let us know what is inside those MOV files, and someone will have suggestions for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A variety; Animation, MJPEG, PNG.

All play fine in Quicktime, AE5, PPro CS4 but not PPro CS5.

/BILLW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Bill, as far as i know though cs5 is supposed to support most of prores codecs that previous versions of pppro couldn't.

using quicktime and using the inspector in that program should tell you the codec, but if you can play it in the free version of quicktime on the pc, ppro cs5 should certainly be able to import it.

furthermore, if it can import it successfully, then that might be more telling, perhaps the file itself it corrupted, are you able to get another copy to test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried about 4-5 different .mov files, some I've created myself from AE5 (Animation preset) and others from iStockPhoto

and VideoCopilot (Action Essentials Library).  All are exhibiting the same behavior in CS5.

/BILLW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking I might throw an older, non-MPE suppported video card in my machine and see if that makes a difference.

/BILLW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i doubt the video card has anything to do with it.

what exactly is the video codec used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ones I created from AE CS5 are Quicktime Movie/Animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boy, I have never had any issues with MOV Animation CODEC, and use them all the time. Unfortunately, I am waiting for the new machine to install CS5, so I cannot test those in it. PrPro 2.0 handles them very easily and effortlessly. Wish I could be more help.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, PPro CS4 on the same machine handles them fine as well.  Go figure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I very upset with Pr. Pro. cs5 and Quick time. I have update Quadro 5000 driver and updated from adobe site yesterday. I am still getting Failed to Initialize Quick Time. Help appreciated as can't finish my project.

Leo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wrote this page for After Effects, but the same issues and solutions apply to Premiere Pro, too:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2011/02/troubleshooting-quicktime-errors-with-after-effects.html

Try the suggestions there if you're having problems with QuickTime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2010 Sep 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else experiencing this?

/BILLW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2010 Sep 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am.

Same thing. Export Quicktime/Animation from AEcs5. Try to open in PProCs5 and I cant do anything. I tried updating QT but still have the same problem. I recently updated my Cineform NeoScene software. Are you running that as well? I was thinking mabey that interfers somehow, I have no idea.

Weird thing is everything was working fine a couple of weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought.

Since you said it was fine a couple of weeks ago...

Could this have happened since the very recent Adobe updates of Premiere and Aftereffects -- etc?

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess so. Not sure why all off a sudden Quicktime is rejected by premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a bit of "down time" and tried an experiment.  I have a backup drive C: which I made in July, and swapped that into my machine.  Low and behold, PPro CS5 was able to import and play .MOV files at that point in time (5.0.1)!   So, it's either the update to 5.0.2, or some new codec conflict that is causing the problem.

I've also upgraded my video card in that timeframe to a MPE supported GFX740 (from a Geforce 9500).  For the purposes of this experiment I also went back to my older video card, since that matched the drivers installed in my July backup.

/BILLW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, my interim solution was to export my title sequence in Cineform HD format, and then import the 2 files (one for RGB, one for Alpha) into Premiere Pro CS5.  That did the trick, and the size of the 2 files were also much smaller when compared to the .MOV Animation preset.

/BILLW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2010 Oct 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im also noticing this issue!!!!!!!!!

My premiere has been running smoothly during the summer without any issues or hickups.

However, right after ive upldated to v5.0.2... permier began to cause problems. Ive tried to narrow it down and noticed its with quicktime files.

My premier becomes "non respondsive" when i try to edit with these quicktime files or open any other exsiting projects that contain them in the timeline. Ive noticed a variety of aniamtion, photojpeg, mjjpeg, proress 422 etc... causes  issues in premiere. Other formatts/codecs seem to work fine along with avi's and even RD3 files.

As soon as the timeline bar reaches a quicktime file the system begins to lag, displays nothing in the project window and at times becomes non "responsive" and crashes.

Is there away to go back to 5.0.1? Is anyone else noticing these issue? Is it a codec problem or somthing with the new update that could be causing this issue?

sidenote - my systems specs:

Q9950s overclock to 3.8

10k-rpm : system drive

raid 0 : media drives

8gig of ram

window 7/ 64bit

GTX470

Everything is up dated with the latest drivers for software and hardware. Which i dont think is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2010 Oct 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is a solution. You can find it here.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/729183?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update fixes some issues regarding import of QuickTime movies using ProRes and  Animation codecs when the Cineform MOV importer is installed. Let us  know how things  work after you've installed the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2011 Feb 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone find the solution yet? The Adobe update did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A simple workaround is to simply take whatever .mov file you are having trouble with and import it into Quicktime Pro and then re-output it to whatever final .mov result you need.  Has worked for me 99% of the time.  QT Pro is not expensive and worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only for PC users

You must be from another planet if you would willingly use .MOV wrappers, that completely destroy the 64 bit nature of PR and return you to 32-bit land.

.MOV is like the plague, it destroys almost everything and the chances of survival are very slim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although you speak sooth, it is I believe rather impulsive to think that the simple answer was meant to be an evangelistic approach for using .mov in final production.

I only edit final productions in native formats or professional intermediates. 

But, how about doing rough storyboard edits where you are burning the many endless midnight hours (hmm, like now maybe, and I just ran out of coffee and smokes?!) fleshing out a story or script, or knocking out an animatic or honing in on the details out of a cinematic script - and while that creative candle burns, you are rapidly pulling together whatever material in whatever format you can find to rough together your ideas before you lose that thought - often over the weekend for a presentation to investors or some such on a Monday.  Sometimes, my friend, all you have is what you get. And when I am creatively doing a pitch or preparing for an on-set walkthrough or a meeting with pre-production, and all I have are  .mov's from whereever thay came or a crappy home office scan or a repro of an old 16mm film of a POW camp that someone copied onto VHS by projecting it off a painted concrete block wall and then shot that with an old VHS camera, and whatever 20 generations later you are handed a .mov of that to put together a final script concept while the originals get dug up.....My Friend, you have to be able to rapidly put your thougths and concepts together without limitations to your equipment and you don't have time to mess around with codecs you don't have when you are in a pinch.  And some of us aren't mathematical codec wizards either -- we just need to see something and see it now.

After all, this is Planet Earth we are living on isn't it?  And rare is the idyllic, calm, cool, breezy day absent from the pounding heartbeat of production!

And in those desperate moments, there have been a few times I will confess I needed to pop a .mov file (from wherever its birth may have been I will never know) into premiere and it wouldn't go.  And in a rush like that with no sleep, I don't care.  I ran it though QT Pro. I guess that makes me a sinner from Arcturus.

From a professional point of view, there are many ways to use premiere.  Like I said, often preparing for a final edit in a production house with an editing team on an Avid or whatever system.   And on the creative side, I use it often to develop my scripts or my projects before I walk on set to direct or produce or have a meeting with the pre-production crew.  And there are many others including of course, the beloved, finished, polished edits that go straight to broadcast -- which premiere does a great job.

For a final production, .mov, nope. (Although I have had animation houses swear by the .mov animation.)

Feel a little better now? 

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines