Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing PDF Toolbar in IE8

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2010 Jan 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Running Win7 with IE8 and Acrobat 9 Standard.  For some reason after I installed Acrobat 9, IE8 does not load the Adobe tool bar.

In IE8 Under Tools > Manage Add-ons (Currently loaded add-ons) I can see the following:

1. Adobe PDF Link Helper
2. Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper

3. SmartSelect Class

What I do not see listed is just simply "Adobe PDF"

Anyone know how to get it back?

This is what it should look like (snap shot taken from another machine).

Snap3.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

I just found that the problem is the 64 bit version of IE 8.  When I switch to the 32 bit version, which is an option under "all programs," the missing toolbars are there.  Sheesh.  You'd think either Microsoft or Adobe would have figured this out.  There are a number of forums/blogs/support conversations where this problem is discussed and no solution offered.  They don't even identify the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2010 Feb 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Activate 'Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper' or look at the other machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd thanks for the reply.

All three of the items listed in my original note are already showing as "enabled" under Manage add-ons > Currently loaded add-ons.

But still, no PDF tool bar in IE8.

Snap1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to VIEW>Toolbars and disabled the Adobe PDF toolbar. I then reenabled it and it came back. This is apparently and issue with an IE8 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd do that, if I could.

Unfortunately there isn't any PDF toolbar menu item, at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use F8 or F9 to get the toolbar back. One is for the toolbar and the other for the menus. You may have accidentally turned the toolbars off, or that happened with a PDF that was set to turn them off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

F8 and F9 don't have any functionality at all with IE8 that I'm aware of.

Here's the screen cap below.  Note there is no "Adobe PDF" menu item at all.

Snap1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opps, sorry. I was thinking AA at the time and not IE. The PDF bar should be listed under the view>toolbars. I had inconsistent results with this button, but it did give me the desired toolbar item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, not there either...

Snap7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try checking TOOLS>Manage Add-ons and see if the Adobe items are enabled. I have 4 Adobe related items enabled with AA7 in IE8. It sounds like you have Acrobat disabled. Sorry to be slow to get back to IE8, but it is not my preferred browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Running Win7 with IE8 and Acrobat 9 Standard.  For some reason after I installed Acrobat 9, IE8 does not load the Adobe tool bar.

In IE8 Under Tools > Manage Add-ons (Currently loaded add-ons) I can see the following:

1. Adobe PDF Link Helper
2. Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper

3. SmartSelect Class

What I do not see listed is just simply "Adobe PDF"

Anyone know how to get it back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of AA9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AA9 is at AA9.3 as I recall. Are you running AA9.0? If so, then install all of the updates in order and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AA9.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2010 Feb 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drat, I thought maybe an update would help, but you are already there. I am running out of ideas, but would suggest a repair on Acrobat (done from the control panel>add & remove programs (in XP, a bit different in VISTA).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately there is no repair option under control panel>add & remove programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In VISTA it is at Control Panel>Programs and Features. I selected Acrobat and it started the process, coming to a point of allowing me to modify, repair, or uninstall. Of course I cancelled, but that is the location. As I indicated the location was different in VISTA where there is no Add & Remove Programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob thanks, but unless I know this is the expected behavior in Win7 with AA Std 9.0, I'd be reluctant to try it.  What if it doesn't offer me the repair option, and instead fully un-installs the application.  Then I'd have a lot more work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the repair option in the help menu of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2011 Jan 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a similar problem with IE8. Have Acrobat Pro 9 too. I enabled in IE8 pdf but no toolbar shows up anywhere. Have Windows 7 too. Also, in older IE version, when I right click the mouse, convert to pdf and append to pdf were there. With IE8, nothing. I know I can convert using Acrobat Pro 9, but prefer the convenience on IE8. Have you solved the problem yet?

Message was edited by: SLBseeker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope... it remains an unsolved mystery.

If I recall correctly, most of the methods that were suggested for "fixing" the

problem were fairly involved, including re-installing windows.  So I just left

it alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a similar problem with IE8. Have Acrobat Pro 9 too. I enabled in IE8

pdf but no toolbar shows up anywhere. Have Windows 7 too. Also, in older IE version, when I right click the mouse, convert to pdf and append to pdf were there. With IE8, nothing. I know I can convert using Acrobat Pro 9, but prefer the convenience on IE8. Have you solved the problem yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue with one user.

Tried to reset IE 8 to default settings as per: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Reset-Internet-Explorer-8-settings

No luck with that.

I also did all updates for Adobe 9 Pro, and this didn't help either.

What I noticed is that it works fine when you login under different user account. I understand that this isn't the best solution, but you might want to re create your account and see if it'll work.

Regards,

Sasha

http://www.semargl.ca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2011 Feb 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had the same problem with Adobe X.

After a little digging on forums and finding no real answer I had a lateral think and found the problem.

You need to fix this in the Adobe reader sofwtare NOT in IE8.

Open up Adobe reader.

Go to Edit -  Preferences

Click on Internet

Remove the Tick from the Display in read Mode by Default box

screenshot.jpg

You should now find that the toolbar is back when you open a PDF in IE8.

Hope this works for you - it did for me.

Rgds

taffybach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines