• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I click on links in PDFs anymore?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can someone help - lately, when I click on a link in an ebook, a box comes up that says'Acrobat does not allow connection to ....' (whatever the link is)

Now, I always used to be able to click on links in PDFs, so I have no idea why I can't now. I've tried re-downloading Adobe, but it makes no difference - has anyone any ideas?  It seem to me as if some setting has got changed, but I have no idea what - I've tried adobe 'help', but no understandable answer there.

Any advice gratefully received, (simply put please - I'm very technically challenged, lol)

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a security issue, assuming the links you're talking about are link to web sites. You can control this behavior by configuring the Trust Manager under "Edit > Preferences > Trust Manager > Internet Access from PDF Files outside the web browser > Change Settings".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George,

Thanks for your reply, which seems to be the right answer.  Unfortunately when I go to  "Edit > Preferences > Trust Manager > Internet Access from PDF Files outside the web browser > Change Settings".  I can't change the setting to 'allow PDF files to access all websites' as none of the radio buttons are live and it is set on 'custom settings'.  Nor can I enter any addresses as I can't click on that.  Any  suggestions as to how I get those buttons live?

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Links in pdf's should work as they used to in Adobe Acrobat/Reader. If you are facing this problem, first try the same with a different pdf file.

If the problem persists, then go to Control Panel of your system and select Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs (Vista/Win7). From there select the entry corresponding to Acrobat/Reader and select Change. Follow the instructions that appear and Repair your application from the options provided.

After this process is complete, restart your machine and try working with your pdf again.

Hope your problem gets resolved by this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply - I have just done as you suggested, but sadly it didn't solve the problem - thanks again for trying to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the options still not selectable, or did you find out how to adjust them? What I described works for me, but I'm using an administrative account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George,

No, I can't get those options to be clickable - there's obviously some security setting I'm not managing to find that's stopping me from altering things as you've recommended.  I've spent all afternoon messing with every possible setting, but no joy. Fortunately, when I hover over the anchor text in the PDF it gives me the destination url which I just have to write down and then put in my browser, but it's so annoying when I should be able just to click on it! ( and when I always used to be able to!)

Thanks, for trying - if you have a flash of inspiration, please let me know....

Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this your personal computer or a work computer that's maybe configured by IT folks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's my personal laptop - I have AVG security on it, but I always have had.  The problems may have started when I last updated adobe, though I'm not sure of that - it's hard to remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2011 Mar 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have recently discovered problems that appear to relate to the combination of AVG Internet Security 2011 and Adobe Reader 10 (on Windows XPSP3).

Although Reader v10 appeared to install it would not start - a quick flash of the Reader logo on the bottom bar and that was it!  I also discovered that there was no Uninstall listed in the Add/Remove Progs.

However, starting in a limited mode (msconfig used to stop all non MS services and startups), Reader v10 was apparently willing to install again, on top of the existing one!  This time an uninstall did display in Add/Remove Programs.  However, restarting in normal mode (including AVG IS) then Reader fails to open properly.

So, tried installing Reader v9.4 (difficult to find a full download!  used FileHippo.com) - this fails as Adobe reckoned a "more capable" version already installed!

Uninstall v10 and try again - now Reader works, albiet only version 9.4.

It appears that Reader v10.x and AVG Internet Security 2011 may well conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines