• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CSS WON'T GET COLOR CODED UNLESS THE FILE IS IN A PROJECT?? R U KIDDIN??

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2011 Feb 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open a CSS file outside of a project, there is no color coding! Please tell me this can be changed. I DO NOT WANT CFBUILDER ORGANIZING MY PROJECTS!

$299 for this? Really - please explain why I should pay $300 for a bloated version of Homesite?  Homesite was GREAT!  You guys frakked up by killing it.  CFB is confusing, the settings especially, nothing does what it states. Spend too much time trying to figure out how to update a simple thing.  Bad when I have to Google when I just want to display line numbers.  Typical Adobe - non-intuitive.

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not what I am experiencing.

Try right clicking on the file from within the "File" view in ColdFusion Builder and choosing "CF Builder CSS Editor".  The file is probably just opening up with the wrong editor.

You can change the option permanently by going to Preferences and then GENERAL>>EDITORS>>FIle Associations. Find or Add *.css and make CFBuilder CSS Editor the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestion - but when I right-click and open with CFB I get the following error dialog "Error opening editor for file ...".

I've tried opening .css, .html, .cfm - all yield same result.  Do you have to be within a project(as in my orig ques)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2011 Feb 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with PHP files; somehow the association got changed.  Going to Window > Preferences > General > Editors > File Associations and adding the .php extension (in my case) and associating it with the "CF Builder HTML Editor" worked for me in the File tab as well as within projects in the Navigator tab.  Give it a try with .css and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 24, 2011 Feb 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I never saw your reply til now.

No, I did not have to be in a project when I test this on my system. If you are getting errors liek that you may want to reinstall the software. It sounds like something got hosed up in Eclipse. Eclipse is like that sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and try not to be so angry.  It's unbecoming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop shouting.  Jesus.

What you're whining about is the equivalent of my mum (who is a lovely little old lady in her late 70s) buying a new VHS and having a tanty of the buttons not being in "the right place".

If you struggle so much with a software app having settings in different places that it yields this sort of response - and not even an inital visceral response, but lingering enough for you to put the caps lock on and write it down! - you're in the wrong industry, mate.  We're not talking rocket surgery here.  Or even brain science.

That's not to say that shifting from something like HS to Eclipse doesn't involve a bit of a mindshift, but it's not the end of the world.  And no-one's making you change text editors either.

Personally I think CFS was a really good text editor, and I rued moving onto DW (not my choice, I was the guinea pig for a failed experiment at a job I had years ago), and when I moved from DW to Eclipse I spend a few moments going "what's all this project sh!t?".  But then I realised everything I work on actually is a project, and there's no harm in having a little organisation in my work. And the work of the rest of the team.  And whilst I found Eclipse has some quirks I could do without, I also remember CFS had some quirks I could do without (and DW was an app I could simply do without from start it finish), so they're even in that regard.  But I also found that Eclipse's inifintitely customisable platform is a real boon for my development across various languages and productivity tools.  Eclipse really is far far better than CFS when one looks at the bigger picture: the one that is outside the realms of developing just basic websites, by one's self, on a single server (and that's not Adobe's target market with CF & CFB anyway, I think).

That said:  CFB has a way to go (and is ot worth $300: it's just a Eclipse plug-in after all), but being built on Eclipse is a good start.

I look fwd to CFB 2.0 to see if it's worth buying...

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation