• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the editor for Multi-File Find and Replace

Enthusiast ,
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click edit on a file it opens it up inside Word. Anyway to get this tool to open the topic inside RH? Or inside another text editor like Notepad++? I don't trust Word to leave my code like I want it.

Thanks in advance,

Jared

RH 7 (latest patches) authoring in RoboHTML

Win 7 64-bit machine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know about RH7, but in RH8, you:

1. Right click the topic.
  2. From the Edit with... option, select the editor you want to use.

For more info (setting a default editor, adding editors to the list, etc.), see the RoboHelp editors topic in their help.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 7 just has the main "Edit" button. I will be upgrading to RH 9 next quarter though, so that'll be good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't get the Edit With option in Multi File Find and Replace.

The editor from Multi File Find and Replace is whatever is set as the HTML editor in IE. If a suitable app is listed there, choose that. If not, see Snippet 88 on my site for instuctions on how to add it.

Don't pick RoboHelp as the editor though as it no longer supports single topic editing.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure?

I don't mean the Edit toolbar button; I mean the context menu that displays when you right click the topic, either in the Project Manager pod or the Topic List pod. You have nothing like that in RH7?

Good luck,

Leon

[UPDATE: Jared, I just opened RH X5, and it had similar options.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon

Read the thread title.

The question is about the Multi-File Find and Replace window, not topic editing. Like me, I guess you never go near that.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah!

Well, then, to work with the MFF&R function, you would set the default editor as Notepad by selecting Tools > Options > Associations tab >HTML Editors > Notepad, and clicking the Set As Default button.

You could then reset the default, if you so choose, after you finish the MFF&R function.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon

Have you got that working please because I have just changed my default editor so that topics open in a text editor I use? MFF&R continues to work with the IE HTML editor.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be drinking the wrong stuff, today, which caused me to miss a few key statements.

Bottom line: I don't get the whole Word-or-IE as editor in the Find and Replace in Files. It's all done in HTML Code, as shown in this example:

demo_find.jpg

If you then open one of the edited topics in an editor other than Notepad, well that's different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I am getting at is what happens when you click the Edit button on that screen you have shown. What the topic opens in then is controlled by IE's HTML Editor.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. The issue is complicated somewhat by IE in a Win 7 64-bit system automatically having two flavors installed (the 32 bit one and the 64 bit one). I already changed my IE editor to Notepad++ back in November, but I think it's only the 32-bit one that was affected (maybe because Notepad++ is 32-bit..?) . Anyway, bottom line is that it's always opening up Word even if I've defined a diff editor for IE. I guess I can try to change the editor for the 64-bit IE and see if that makes a diff.

To be honest I don't use this all that much, only occassionally. I do wish RH had a more Robust topic search across all topics in a project without having to use a third party tool that you have to always point and re-point to the project directory and so forth. I mean, even providing a simple RH-specific search like the search feature in CHM helps would be useful. I was surprised that RH 9 didn't have something like this when I evaluated it. It uses  this same Muti-file find and replace tool it's just tied into a menu now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get the wish list form warmed up ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Beginner ,
    Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just thought I would resurrect this thread, because I am encountering the same issue, except for me the Edit button just opens the topic IE.  As such, the only way to edit the topic is to right-click and choose View Source, then do another Find to get to the bit I wanted to edit, which is a bit of a faff.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with IE9 and RH8.  As well as the suggestions made here, I have tried changing IE's HTML editor from the developer window (as described here), which works for IE itself, but not RH.  I've also tried editing the Registry and adding the path to Notepad++ to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\Notepad++.exe\Shell\edit\command.  Again, this makes no difference, which leads me to think there is no association between IE9 and RH8. 

The twist for me is last time I used this tool I'm sure it worked, but it has been a while and I cannot remember what other software changes have taken place that could affect RH.

Regards

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,
    Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See Item 16 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#miscellaneous

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Resources
    RoboHelp Documentation
    Download Adobe RoboHelp