• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generating zero-byte files

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2011 Feb 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone heard of this problem while using Kaspersky?  This was originally posted in 2008 by another member - Flaven.  I'll just use his post because it describes my problem exactly.  His solution was to disable his antivirus software (Threatfire) while using Robohelp, but I do not have permission to do that.  Is there another way around this problem?

The problem is that this suddenly started happening to a project I've had no problems with since I started it several months ago.  When I generate Webhelp, it prduces a varying number of zero-byte topic files (the files are created, but contain nothing).  That is, one time there will be 15 zero-byte files, the next time 5, the next time 10, and so on.  The files are random; it's never the same files.

I can copy the files out of my project folder into the generated Webhelp folder, and the Webhelp project will run fine on my PC, but when I then try to publish the project to a server (or another folder on my hard drive), I get an access denied error about half way through.  The last published file is bsscftp.txt.

For a manual fix, I can replace the zero-byte files, and copy to the server, but I cannot publish from within Robohelp.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be more specific about the error I get when trying to publish, it says, "

A sharing violation has occurred on bsscftp.txt."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had my network support to disable Kaspersky and it made no difference

, so I'm still needing help with this problem.  Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please provide some more information regarding the zero byte issue.

• Which version of RoboHelp you are using for generating the output.
  • Whether this issue appear in some specific project or appears on all the projects on your machine(whether you tried creating a new project and see if this happens on that project as well.

Thanks

Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2011 Mar 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...thank you for replying.

I am using RH8.

I have previous projects where this did not happen.

It started on my current project which would generate and complile fine three months ago.

I have created a new project with the same results.

The files are never the same; every time I generate I will get a different set of zero-byte files.  The previous zero-byte files will be fine, but a different set will be effected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2011 Mar 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update...

The other day when I asked my network support to disable Kaspersky, they did not.  I asked them again today (after uninstalling and reinstalling RH) to try it one more time.

Disabling Kaspersky solved the problem.  Now if I could just get someone to tell me how to get around this permanently because they will not remove Kaspersky from my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2011 Mar 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Kaspersky in the past and found their support very helpful. I think it worth asking them.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your IT peeps might not remove Kaspersky, but they might be amenable to disabling certain folders on your machine (as we were able to convince our folks here). Keep it simple, though: make sure that all writers are using the same folder structure for all projects (wouldn't want to confuse or over-stress those IT folks).

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Leon and Peter.

My Network "peeps" say they are working on a solution so I am hoping they

will consider disabling for certain folders. Would you happen to know if

that would be my project folders and/or also my webhelp folders? I generate

into My Documents/Project Name folder, not into the My Documents/My RoboHelp

Projects/Project Name folder. (My last several projects were generated this

way and I did not have a problem.)

Also, I am the only one in this office that uses RoboHelp. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would get them to give you both source and target locations if it comes to that. There may be a different solution.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of IT peeps, in some organizations, they assign all My Documents folders as some kind of virtual mapped network drives.

You're better off placing at least your project source files at C:\first_project\source, C:\second_project\source, etc. The output could remain in the My Documents area, though.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Leon,

I will give that a try next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp