17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 11:11 AM by Scott Chichelli

Check these specs for my future computer before I buy

jaystemple76

I run CS4 now on my Dell Latitude E6500. It runs quite well actually but I really need to move up to a desktop machine.

I have a business account with Dell, so the comptuers I have available to me to buy are much different than the consumer models, and they last quite a long time and are very robust... and they come with onsite parts and labor warranty for 3 years.

I am wanting to move up to CS5 and go Windows 7 64but (running win7 32 now).

I simply wanted to post these specs in this forum and have some of you folks in the know look aver them to see what you thought. I am realtively new to video productions (only aboout 2 years doing weddings).

I realize it only has 4 gigs, but I will probably contact my sales rep and ask him to double it.

Base Unit:

OptiPlex 980 Minitower Base Standard PSU

Processor:

OptiPlex 980, Intel Core i5 Dual Core Processor 650 with VT (3.20GHz, 4M)

Memory:

4GB,Non-ECC,1333MHz DDR3,2X2GB,Dell OptiPlex 980

Keyboard:

Dell QuietKey Keyboard, No Hot Keys, No Palmrest, English, OptiPlex

Monitor:

No Monitor Selected, OptiPlex

Video Card:

512MB ATI Radeon HD 4550 w/ Single DP & Single DVI, Full Height, OptiPlex

Hard Drive:

500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s and 16MB Data Burst Cache,Dell OptiPlex 980

Hard Drive Controller:

1394 Controller Card,Full Height,Dell OptiPlex 755 Minitower

Operating System:

Windows 7 Professional, Media, 64-bit, Optiplex

Operating System:

Windows 7 Label, Optiplex, Fixed Precision, Vostro Desktop

Mouse:

Dell MS111 USB Optical Mouse,OptiPlex and Fixed Precision

TBU:

Intel Core i7/i5 vPro Technology Enabled,Dell OptiPlex 980

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive:

16X DVD+/-RW SATA,Data Only,Dell OptiPlex Desktop or Minitower

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I predict that this Dell system will come out in the PPBM5 Benchmark near the bottom of the results page, around 50 - 70 times slower than a fast system. Also look at the latest news page at the bottom, where an economic system, at least the major components are listed.

If you want a system for video editing and do not want to build it yourself, go to a custom builder like ADK. The only systems from Dell, or HP and similar brands that are worth considering are systems that have all the components you need. If you add anything to their standard configuration, they steal you blind and you end up with a system with crippled BIOS which does not allow overclocking at a huge cost that still is not really suited for serious NLE work.

In short: This Dell is underpowered on all fronts. Not enough CPU, not enough memory, slow video card, no CUDA/MPE support, only single disk, so it does not even meet minimum requirements. A complete waste of money.

Simple example how they steal you blind:

Upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB, add € 380, upgrade from 4 GB to 16 GB, add € 1020. Buy 16 GB memory elsewhere for € 180.

Add a second 2 TB disk, add € 455, buy the same disk elsewhere for € 135.

• 2. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
            JEShort01 Level 4

CS5 on Win7 64-bit given the correct hardware is amazing, but you will want something much stronger to run that what one might envision that has been using CS4 if you will have anything HD in your workflow (DV is not so tough).

I completely agree and second Harm's comments, especially:

- build your own (lots of great info here), or go to a custom builder like ADK (who specializes in fast / quiet / robust) workstations for audio and video editing

- a spec. like the Optiplex that you quote woould likely perform miserably for CS5

Other Dell thoughts:

- If you feel going with Dell is essential, Dell's Precision workstation line can run CS5 OK, but a strong spec. for CS5 would be pretty expensive - (aka $5000 to $15,000, no kidding)

- Dell's gaming line, which does include factory overclocked builds, could get you into something that could run CS5 well for between $3000 and $4000 (aka Aurora ALX desktop w/ 12GB RAM, 2x1TB RAID0 + add your own additional drives, select GTX5 580 video, etc.)

Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
              Scott Chichelli Level 3

thank you Harm and Jim!

to the OP the 650 processor is a very weak CPU. dont let the GHz fool you.

Scott

ADK

• 4. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                jaystemple76 Level 1

I dont want to offend anyone here because I know all of you know mroe than

me. I honestly admit that.

But perhaps the advice you give here comes from users who do maybe,

Hollywood style work???

I have been doing weddings (and good ones according to my clients) for over

2 years on my Latitude E6500 for over 2 years.

I have added a bigger hard drive, a faster DVD burner, more RAM, all without

any issues at all.

My specs on my laptop are a FRACTION of the specs I posted here. And yet, I

am still able to run CS4 on my 32 bit win7 machine without it ever locking

up, freezing or crashing.

ANd I get more referals for weddings that I can keep up with, due to word of

mouth from previous clients ... SO I know I am doing SOMETHING right.

And please dont think my wedding videos are just a ceremony on a tripod for

$300. My weddings average $1200 and my clients do not balk at that price.

I say all that to say this:

You guys talk about the above specs as though CS5 wont even load on them.

Yet I am running a relic compared to hose specs and it runs wonderfully.

You also talk of Dell in ways that blow me away. I have been a Dell client

for 7 years. I buy about 50 computers from them a year. I have maybe 4 per

year that need warranty work done on them. I manage 300 Dells. Thats pretty

good in my opinion.

Heck, I am not even all that ga-ga over Dell. I could care less who's name

is on it. I can just get DEEP doiscounts since I work for a school. I only

earn about $9000 a year from my weddings, so for me to spend $5000 to $20000

on a machine for a part time job when a $1200 laptop has been doing just

fine for me seems a little obscene.

I thank you for your advice. I am sure it comes from years of experience,

but given my experience using CS4 on a much older, less robust system, and

my experience with Dell, I am forced to look at all of your opinions as

uninformed... respectfully.

• 5. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                  videoarsim

Hi,

All beauty working with CS5 is speed and functionality in windows7 64bit.

If you want take advantige of it, I believe you have to take in consideration Harms advise.

Minimum requirements to run Premiere pro CS5 is on they website. Please, be very particular when you choose video card, it is one of main consideration to be aware of.

• 6. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                    JEShort01 Level 4
                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I am forced to look at all of your opinions as

uninformed... respectfully.

It sounds like you should seriously consider sticking with CS4, and maybe 32-bit Windows as well; in my post above I mentioned "if you have HD in your workflow" and I have a sense that you do not. Additionally, your current CS4 license gives you full rights to use your CS4 on a laptop and a separate desktop at the same time.

Regarding HD workflows, one might consider HD begs for CS5 and CS5 with HD begs for really strong hardware. If you are not shooting HD now, will you be upgrading before you get another desktop?

Finally, if you still wish to continue pursuing CS5, then I suggest that you spend a few hours on this site and others to enlighten and educate yourself so that your are no longer forced to look at all the opinions here as uninformed!

Respectfully (just kidding), this will be my last post on your thread.

Jim

• 7. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                      jaystemple76 Level 1

Jim, now THAT is a helpful post for me.. makes more sense, and thanks for

the thoughtful reply.

I do not do much HD at all, you are right.

Though, I want to move towards it in the near future since most brides are

going to start expecting it.

Much to think about. I have built 2 gaming machines in the past with

success, may build this machine at everyones suggestions. It is the video

graphics card debate that always stalls me.

• 8. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                        jaystemple76 Level 1

ALso, thanks to the first poster for the ADK advice...

They actually have an Adobe system for video editing starting around $1300

which is near my price range.

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=82

So it looks like I can get what I am looking for that meets all the needs

you guys were talking about.

Thanks again

• 9. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                          jaystemple76 Level 1

so... did some more soul-searching, visiting ADK, and built this system for

just over 2 grand...

thoughts?

Case Zalman - Z9 Mid-tower case. 3x 5.25, 6x 3.5, 1 2.5 drive bays.  *Power

Supply* Coolermaster - 700W Silent Pro M Pro 16DB (quiet) 5 yr warranty.  *

Motherboard* ADK - LGA1155: 2x 16X PCIe, 3 PCIe 1x, 2 PCI, dual channnel

DDR3 1600, TI firewir  Processor Intel - Core i7 2600 3.4GHz Quad 8 meg

cache with HT  Processor 2 None  CPU Cooling included  *Quieting/Xtra

Cooling * Included quiet case fan  Memory Mushkin - 8gig (4x2GB) DDR3 1600

1.65v 7-9-7-24  Operating System Microsoft - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM  *

Recovery* Paragon Backup & Recovery 10 Suite with ADK recovery DVD.

*OS/Programs Drive * SEAGATE - 500G 16Meg Sata II Perpendicular ST3500418AS

*Source Drive * Western Digital - Caviar Black Hard Drive: 1 TB - 7200 rpm

- Serial ATA 6.0Gb/s - 64 Meg Cac  Render Drive Western Digital - Caviar

Black Hard Drive: 1 TB - 7200 rpm - Serial ATA 6.0Gb/s - 64 Meg Cac  *

Storage* None  Removable None  External Storage none  *FW or Raid

Controller* None  FW/USB/E-Sata Cntlrs None  DVD-RW PLEXTOR - PX-880SA

24X DVDRW SATA Retail: Plextor 24XDVDRW with PlexUtilities, SATA,  *Dual

Head Video* GeForce GTS 450 Graphics Card - PCI Express 2.0 x16 - 1 GB GDDR5

SDRAM  *2nd Video * None  LCD Monitor none  NIC Included wired not

wireless  Keyboards None  Warranty 2 year parts and labor, onsite

pickup, Lifetime tech support.

• 10. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                            JEShort01 Level 4

Jay,

Looks nice!

Suggestions:

No brainers:

- Change to 2x4GB sticks of RAM so you can upgrade to 16GB later if desired (+ $8)

- Upgrade video to Zotac GTX 460 1MB (+ $49)

Other strong options if you can swing it:

- ADK Tower - big and QUIET (+$125)

- LG Blu-ray burner (+$55)

- Upgrade to 4.5GHz CPU option (+ $145) [ADK guys - is this OC'd 2600k?]

Jim

• 11. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                              jaystemple76 Level 1

Jim, thanks for the suggestions!

I did up it to the bluray, but the $35 upgrade option.

I am really trying to keep it as close to $2000 as I possibly can.

I dont really want a HUGE tower.

As for the differences in the video options, blueray options, and CPU

options I chose and the one you suggested, what are the differences and

would they really be all that significant for a guy who only does 6 or 7

weddings a year?

• 12. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                                JEShort01 Level 4

Jay,

Based on what you just said...

Check your blu-ray selection if you want to BURN blu-ray disks! If you don't, save some cash and go back to your earlier DVD option.

Std. case - fine

RAM - still lean towards the 2x4GB recommend for less than the $10 increase

Video option - Someone jump in regarding GTS vs GTX for CS5; I really don't know. I have used 1MB GTX 460 card w/ CS5 and it works great, so maybe I was just going with what I knew when I stated the $49 was a no brainer. Additionally, lots of users do have GTX 460 cards here and seem to be pretty happy with them.

If I was dealing with your $2000 hard line budget, I'd probably convert the OS drive to a 1TB 64MB WD Black and dump the 3rd (render) drive all together

Jim

• 13. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                                  jaystemple76 Level 1

Jim...

brain fart, yeah, I would need the bluray burner... thanks for checking the

fine print for me!

Being one who just works with one laptop hard drive and an external hard

drive... whats the advantage in the separation of the source and rendering

disk?

• 14. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI Jay,

hate to state the obvious!

we are here to talk with you on the phone and go thru all these things with you!

in fact we prefer to talk with you rather than ordering on the net..

Scott

ADK

• 15. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Upgrade to 4.5GHz CPU option (+ $145) [ADK guys - is this OC'd 2600k?] - Yes that is the overclocked 2600K option. We clock to 4.5GHz or higher depending on what the chip can handle.

2x4GB definitely the way to go. Gives you room later to upgrade ram without losing sticks.

New Mid tower great for cooling and very inexpensive. I will be getting one myself soon.

If you can swing it the BDR which is $55 more is the way to go. Handles all formats and saves you headache later if you need to deliver BDR's.

The 450GT video card is fine for CS5 if you are not in time intensive timelines. That would be fine. The 460GTX is a decent performance upgrade so it's definitely the better option.

Eric

ADK

• 16. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                                        jaystemple76 Level 1

Will DEFINITELY be calling before ordering, just using the site as a guide

to budget my money.

Wife already approved it

• 17. Re: Check these specs for my future computer before I buy
                                          Scott Chichelli Level 3

""Wife already approved it""

how did you pull that off? i bet you helped clean the house and gave her flowers before asking!