Expand my Community achievements bar.

Moving Text to Accomodate Global Data Fields

Level 1

I am creating a form where certain text repeats throughout the document. For example, the user enters their name once at the beginning, then it repeats throughout the document. I would like to include the user's name at the beginning of headings, for example: NAME's Learning Style

I know how to use global data to have the name repeat; the problem is how do I have the text after, in this case -- 's Learning Style -- move to the right in order to accomodate the user's name?

5 Replies

Former Community Member

You do not want to make that phrase part of the same field or the entire string will be copied to all fields of the same name. You can create a text object next to the field to hold the additional string.

Paul

Level 1

Hi Paul - I created a separate text field for the -- 's Learning Style -- part, but my problem is getting it to shift over to accomodate varying lenghts of names.

Former Community Member

I think we can do this with some javascript code .....but the form woudl have to be saved as dynmic ...is this a problem for you?

Paul

Level 1

Uh oh - I should have thought of that first! The form is currently static and I don't think there's an easy way to switch that. I'm wondering if I should just change the order from "Name's Learning Style" to "Learning Style of Name." Ha!