• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp corrupting files when project housed on network

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2011 Feb 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am posting this discussion because I'm hoping there's someone out there with an alternative to houseing the project on a local drive then moving it around our group to work on individual items (as posted here http://forums.adobe.com/message/2952211). This is not a solution because it creates other problems, wont the files become corrupted moving it from local drive to local drive?  Besides we need to be able to work on the project simultaneously.

Please help with a better solution than passing the work around, and please also remember to have a great day:)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2011 Feb 28, 2011

The only way you can have multiple authors is to use some form of source control (like RoboSource) check topics in/out as they are worked on (locally).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way you can have multiple authors is to use some form of source control (like RoboSource) check topics in/out as they are worked on (locally).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First you state moving from local drive to local drive is not a solution (it is but maybe not one that suits you), then you ask if it will cause problems. So are you telling us or asking?

I regularly move projects from machine to machine. I almost always zip the project, move the zip, then unzip. It does not cause problems. But then I've only been doing it for about fifteen years.

If your objective though is simultaneous working, that is different and as Jeff says, and my site says, then you need source control.

What will cause grief is running projects off a network without source control. And of course that will not happen until you are a few hours away from a deadline.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Peter, I'm sorry if my comment seemed to infer your answer was not sufficient.  Thanks for your reply you have been very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All good advice from my colleagues. I'd just add that I've been told by some RoboHelpers that Perforce and Team Foundation Server also integrate very well as third party source control, especially if you're looking for Windows 7 64-bit support. (RoboSource Control is free and works well, but it is 32-bit only)

By integration, I mean you can work seamlessly within the RoboHelp authoring tool to do all the check in/check out, etc. even though you are using a third party source control app. To see this, just click View > Toolbars > Version Control

CheckIn-IntegratedCommands-Box.jpg

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Evergreen, Colorado
www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2011 Mar 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John D.  That is AWESOME news and thanks for the clarification, we will do our homework and I'll let you know what works for our environment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff, thank you for your great reply, we're looking into RoboSource as a solution now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello InTechComm

I love me some RoboHelp. I really do. But even as much as I love RoboHelp, I would hope that you consider looking at other Source Control systems before settling on one. Sure, RoboHelp ships with RoboSource Control and it's no additional charge, but there are other systems out there such as Microsoft Visual Source Safe that may be worth looking at.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Captiv8r, We will sure do that! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp