• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 causing other apps to crash?

Mar 02, 2011 Mar 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

I have a colleague (working in another office, so I can't really see this problem first hand) who is trying to install RH8 on a Win7/32 machine (new install, not an upgrade). A member of her IT dept is performing the install.

After the installation of the app and patches is finished, RH seems to work more or less normally (she's new to RH, so her sense of "normal" is rather limited at this stage).  The problem is that other applications lock up and crash (she mentioned MS Office apps in particular, but that could be because those are the ones she tends to use the most).

After un-installing RH, the other apps no longer crash.

I've recommended re-installing but skipping the "RoboHelp for Word" piece, but I can't think of anything else.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen a similar situation? I've found other threads that deal with RH crashing or the RH install failing, but I couldn't find any in which RH caused other apps to crash.

Thanks,

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd make sure that her version is fully patched - there were a couple of fixes that were required right off the bat in RH8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff...I'll ask her to double check. She said they had installed 2 patches (I think that's all there

were?)  My own RH8 version is 8.02.208 and it works fine.  I'll ask her to check her version.

I think there used to be a "sticky topic" at the top of the forums that provided some info on the patches, but it seems to be gone.  I guess most people are installing RH9 these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

This rings a bell and sounds like a post a couple of months back, might be more. You can search for it as it's bedtime here!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2011 Mar 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm...I posted a reply via email, but it isn't showing up, so I'm pasting it in.

Hi, Rick -

Thanks for the suggestions. Like some of the other threads I've found, these seem to deal mainly with RH crashes rather than other apps. But your first link possibly has some overlap as the menu issue it describes also pops up in a thread I found:

"RoboHelp 8 crashes on Windows 7"

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2955493#2955493

This thread includes a scenario in which Outlook and other apps are failing. Additionally, some users were having RH crashes related to the menu bug. Some users found relief by uninstalling source control, others did not. Finally, An Adobe employee posted a fix that corrects issues related to Oleacc.dll which helped some users.

To be thorough, I'll mention that the problems are occurring on a laptop (another thread traced RH crashes to a BioMetric service running on their laptop). And my colleague has the FoxIt PDF utility installed (I don't think this should be the issue here, but perhaps worth a mention.)

I'm going to suggest that they try:

1a. Check the registry to ensure traces of the previous RH install are gone.

1b. Reinstall but omit source control and RH for Word (I think you can skip these during install?  I'm no longer allowed to to perform my own installs, so I'm less familiar with the process than I once was.)

2. Ensure patches are installed (version should be 8.02.208)

3. If that doesn't work, try the Oleacc.dll fix.

4. If that doesn't work, try another Win7/32 machine (preferably non-laptop).

5. If all is well on the other machine, I guess it is time to start looking at which non-essential services might be causing a conflict.

Regards,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2011 Mar 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Deleting the text as it was a duplicate of the previous post. This was the one alluded to in the previous post as the email submission that never arrived. It wasn't absent after all, merely tardy.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2011 Mar 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It looks like RoboSourceControl may have been the problem.  They did a fresh install and bypassed this component.  So far, so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp