Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Plug in style chm help files

Jul 10, 2006 Jul 10, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help me with my latest bit of Research and Development.

Our latest releases of software are being designed as modular applications, with each application containing it own relevant help file.

Can any body tell me if it is possible to create multiple chm files that can be included in an overall master chm file, only when a new software application is installed on a PC?

I understand how to merge chm files but this works on the basis that all the documents are going to be installed on the PC, is it possible to include the help files when the latest software is being installed, i.e. similar to a plugin type of action?

in readiness
Sean
confused;

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean. Perhaps you can configure your application only to install each modular help file if the module is installed? If your master CHM was set up correctly, the user would be oblivious to the fact that they were missing a CHM as it wouldn't show in the master TOC. The only way I am aware of doing this is to get the application to check for licence keys and copy the relevant licence's help file into a central directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the prompt response, Colum.

Theoretically, that works, however if the customer downloads a further application from the internet, after initially installing the applications from a CD, will the internet downloaded application help file be automatically included in the master chm help file?

regards
Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean. If the master TOC has entries for three modular CHMs of which only two are present on the end user's PC, only those two are visible. If the end user installs the third module, which in turn installs the missing CHM into the same directory as the others, the master TOC will show all three modular CHMs. They key to master TOCs is the location of the slave CHMs in the same location. If they are there, they are displayed. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Many thanks Colum

I will give it a try !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp